This laptop? Help on specs

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Maxemoss, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Maxemoss

Maxemoss

Hello, I have option to buy this laptop, I need one that will help me to do some basic gopro video editing ( not 4k). My budget isn't huge, I'm trying to focus on good processor, ram and graphics card
    This is the laptop
    https://www.acerdirect.co.uk/p/1065...-i5-500u-8gb-1tb-windows-10-15.6-laptop-black

Any thoughts? I'm not sure about processor speed and no info on graphics card, it just says "graphic adapter"

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Maxemoss, Sep 11, 2016
  2. Maxemoss

something back

There's not much info on the laptop you have listed, can't find the graphic card number, here's the forums old post it will help you in knowing what C.P.U.s AND graphics G.P.U.s are good bad or indifferent.

I have to ask the question given the difference between the price offered by acer direct and other makes offered
    online only being £65 more, is it worth only having a 3months warranty using acer directs offer.

Have a look online using the terms "i5-5200U laptop" you may find a better deal take a look at tesco direct and
    of course others.

http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/the-basics-when-purchasing-a-laptop.24922/

something back, Sep 11, 2016
  3. Maxemoss

Maxemoss

Maxemoss, Sep 11, 2016
  4. Maxemoss

Maxemoss

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately not sold anywhere else, except a refurbished one by laptops direct ( and I think they are same or linked to Acer direct as addresses same), tesco list it but not available.
    Since discovered graphics card is integrated Intel HD 5500
    (The tesco listing provides more specs, that's where I found the graphics card info)
    Thanks for help, will check link

Maxemoss, Sep 11, 2016
  5. Maxemoss

something back

Sorry I was a bit harsh with my reply, I personally like acer laptops
    and would choose an acer first, this has to be dependant on price, of course everyone
    has a limit.

A refurb one with only 3 months warranty is taking a bit of a gamble
    if you can afford the extended warranty then go for it.

Tescodirect is offering “other” new makes for £399

something back, Sep 11, 2016
  6. Maxemoss

Maxemoss

Thanks again. No problem at all.
    Understand re warranty. I always bear in mnd that sales of goods act and fit for purpose (for reasonable length of time) trumps any supposed warranty and in event of any problems in the past, I've found that calling companies out on this over Twitter brings great results ;-)
    Hopefully they'll be no problems...

Maxemoss, Sep 11, 2016
  7. Maxemoss

Corzhens

I think that specs would be fine for video editing since you are not going for the film resolution of 4K. A smaller resolution is manageable by an ordinary laptop although the rendering will take so many hours, i.e. depending on the size of the video. My husband is using Adobe Premiere and he uses our old desktop at home. But his videos are shorts only up to 5 minutes at the most which takes hours when rendering the final version. But if your videos have a duration of more than 30 minutes, I think you need a stronger laptop for the job.

Corzhens, Sep 13, 2016
Ask a Question