Thunar FIle Manager Problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AspireOne, Jul 26, 2008.

1. AspireOne

AspireOne

I have a problem with the file manager in my aspire one because I cannot see the whole drive of my computer. If I select 'Show hidden files' I see all the files of my user directory (Drive:\Home\User). Also if I click on the desktop folder. Can you help that I can show the whole hard drive so that I can edit and copy files from other directories?

Many thanks..

AspireOne, Jul 26, 2008
  2. AspireOne

Aypee

Hello,
    Try "View/view in advanced mode" (or the equivalent in english, I'm not sure because I use a french version... ;) )

Aypee, Jul 26, 2008
  3. AspireOne

AspireOne

I have tried to do it in advanced mode but it does't work :(

AspireOne, Jul 26, 2008
  4. AspireOne

Aypee

In "View in advanced mode", click twice on the little blue up-arrow on the top left of the Thunar window and you will see the entire root file system ("/") ;)

Aypee, Jul 26, 2008
  5. AspireOne

Aubrey

Are you sure you want to do that? The rest of the file system is pretty much a "no go" area unless you know what you are doing. /home/user is where all your personal files and settings will be anyway.

Thunar does let you open multiple windows (right click on a folder name in the side bar or the main pane and select "Open in New Window") - drag and drop as much you like

Aubrey, Jul 26, 2008
  6. AspireOne

AspireOne

I know what to do because I have installed wine on the one and that has a file manager. I have looked up all the files I want to edit. But I can't copy in the file explorer of wine because there is no paste option. I have searched in the package manager for a file manager for gnome but the installation failed. Maybe you know a good file explorer for xfce? Because Acer has protected the harddisk I think.

AspireOne, Jul 26, 2008
  7. AspireOne

BlackLagoon

You can view the entire drive by replacing the "My Disk..." etc. in the address field with a single slash, /, and pressing enter. It won't let you change anything though, because you're still a normal user. You can of course launch Thunar as in super user mode by pressing alt-F2 and running "sudo thunar", but be warned, you can easily mess up your system this way unless you know exactly what you're doing.

BlackLagoon, Jul 26, 2008
  8. AspireOne

BlackLagoon

Reading this closer, it occurs to me that what you actually might be looking to do is access the files of your installed Wine apps in Thunar. You don't need to go outside your home directory for that, instead they're located in a hidden folder called .wine, which has a sub-folder called drive_c. That's what corresponds with C:\ in Wine.

BlackLagoon, Jul 26, 2008
Ask a Question