Thunderbird date format

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Quaama, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Quaama

Quaama

I'm a new user and am enjoying my Acer.However I have a problem using Thunderbird which is my Email program.

It shows the message received date in American format MM-DD-YYYY. Living in Australia I need it to be configured as DD-MM-YYYY.
    I can't change it in Thunderbird, it tells me it needs to be done in Linpus.

I've searched the Forum with no results.Can anyone tell me how to do this or guide me to a post covering this topic?

TIA for any assistance offered.

Quaama, Mar 10, 2009
  2. Quaama

barrie

barrie, Mar 10, 2009
  3. Quaama

jane renwick

(a) I have just followed the link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Date_display_format - and got to this information. But I am SO new to Linux & Acer, that I don't know WHERE to (start) to go to the place where I should enter - "LC_TIME=en_GB".

(b) I don't even know where to find Thunderbird. Sorry - I am completely NEW

In Linux, these settings are based on your locale. If the environment variable "LANG" is set to "en_US", for example, Thunderbird will show the date in "MM/DD/YYYY" format. To override the locale only for showing dates, set the "LC_TIME" environment variable (for example, "LC_TIME=en_GB"). If you want the ISO 8601 date format (YYYY-MM-DD), use the "en_DK" locale.
    UNQUOTE

[color=#FF0040]Barrie - I have followed your link and am told "In Linux, these settings are based on your locale. If the environment variable "LANG" is set to "en_US", for example, Thunderbird will show the date in "MM/DD/YYYY" format. To override the locale only for showing dates, set the "LC_TIME" environment variable (for example, "LC_TIME=en_GB"). If you want the ISO 8601 date format (YYYY-MM-DD), use the "en_DK" locale."[/color]

I really need this for what was my Excel spreadsheets times

Am I in the wrong place?

Sorry but I am a completely new user to Acer A110 netbook, with Linux that I don't know where to start.

EG: here I find references to Thunderbird". Is Thunderbird part of my netbook/system? If so where do I find it? I simply need to change my DATE FORMAT from (US) MM/DD/YY to (UK) DD/MM/YY. I don't even know how to get to here > "LC_TIME" environment

Additionally, I am actually in Turkey for the summer, but I bought the netbook in UK. I have set my TIME ZONE to Europe/Istanbul.

There are so many of you clever people out there, I wonder how I can't even understand the basics of what you are saying. Presently, I really wish I had bought mm Acer with WINDOWS - really I do!!!

jane renwick, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Quaama

solpuerto

Hi again

Looked at your posts and found this one.

Not sure what you are trying to do but Thunderbird is an e-mail prog. It is available under your Add/Remove software functionality.

Excel on Linux????

solpuerto, May 11, 2009
  5. Quaama

Gaer Boy

Jane

If you're opening Excel spreadsheets in Linpus, you will be using Open Office Calc. Date & Time settings in this are done from the menu. Highlight the cells you wish to format, then Format, Cells, Numbers, Date and select from the choices.

Gaer Boy, May 11, 2009
  6. Quaama

jane renwick

Ah, another tit-bit of information. NOW, I know that Thunderbird 'relates' to EMAIL. A silyl thing I wanted to do, is to set up an SOUND (audible warning) alter when I have new mail coming in, which I had before. I choose myself a LOUD and silly sound which I put in to laptop (Windows) and then I could walk away from the computer and get on with other things. Where on this system would I put such a sound? Do SOUNDS have a different file extension in Linux? Linux doesn't like .WAV (Windows?) . WHERE (if I succeed in downloading a sound) do I PUT it, please - and of course HOW to I get it to where it should be? If I knew HOW/WHERE to find the default "sound", I might have been able to try to work it out!

Thanks again for your patience xx

jane renwick, May 12, 2009
  7. Quaama

jane renwick

Thanks for this xx

jane renwick, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question