Thunderbird won't get new message...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by T1m0thy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. T1m0thy

T1m0thy

Hi i got my acer aspire one today. I'm a new to linux but so far i'm finding it alright.
    I didn't like the email program that came with it though so decided to change to thunderbird after reading a guide on the internet. I'm using thunderbird on my pc at the moment and it works fine. I installed thunderbird on my acer opened it up and entered my gmail account details. But it won't actually download any emails! When i click get mail nothing at all happens. When i open thunderbird a loading bit appears at the bottom like it is looking for new emails but it only last for half a second and goes. I know i have new emails because i just checked on my PC.

Does anyone have any ideas? Before installing thunderbird i uninstalled the original mail program, and also uninstalled the IM program to get aMSN. Incase that might be the problem?

T1m0thy, Dec 9, 2008
  2. T1m0thy

markh

Have you followed the very precise instructions gmail gives for port numbers etc? They're available via your gmail settings page. I have tb working with my gmail, so I can assure you that if you persist, it will work.

markh, Dec 10, 2008
  3. T1m0thy

barrie

I second what markh says re port numbers, no issues here as well. The only thing I would like is for the desktop Icon to show number of emails, rather than (0)
    [​IMG]

barrie, Dec 11, 2008
  4. T1m0thy

markh

To be more precise, in gmail, click Settings - Forwarding and Pop/Imap - click on enable for either POP or IMAP - then click Configuration instructions, and follow them to the letter. IMAP is the more sophisticated solution.

Barrie, I've tried looking into the email numbers, and I think its totally tied up with the original acer mail. I've downloaded a plugin for the xfce panel called "Mail Watcher", which puts an icon in the system tray.

markh, Dec 11, 2008
  5. T1m0thy

barrie

Hi markh,

That would be fine as I could then see the correct number of mails, have just found the plug-in by Brian Tarricone and Pasi Orovuo here http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/mailwatch so will install it over the weekend.

Thanks for the tip, I would not have found this. :)

barrie, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question