Time to Install Ubuntu (Just a few quick questions)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JoeDaStudd, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JoeDaStudd

JoeDaStudd

Hi all,

I've been meaning to install Ubuntu on my AAO 110L for a while now, but I've been holding it off (a few other projects on the go and a bit of fear).

Can someone confirm this is the correct way to install it and help with the sub questions.

1)Using a live flash drive install Ubuntu (8.10 is my distro of choice)
    1a)Whats the best file system to use for this?
    1b)Any special commands/parameters needed?

2)Once installed download and install Stuarts (sickboy) kernel from here

3)Follow steps from here
    3a)Which steps aren't needed due to the custom kernel?

4)Sit back and relax.

General questions about AAO and ubuntu.

Does the custom kernel have any issues with live update, any programs or anything I should be aware of?
    How accurate is the 30 second till complete boot (os up and wifi on)?
    Whats the advantage of the Madwifi drivers?
    If I want to reinstall Linpus (I doubt it, but would I'd like to know either way) is there an ISO I can download which is a "as new" install on the custom linpus the AAO 110L comes with?

As you can see I've only really ever followed guides for Linux and installed the default copies.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

JoeDaStudd, Mar 18, 2009
  2. JoeDaStudd

spinnekopje

Just some answers:
    Best filesystem is probably ext2 for SSD versions, ext3 for HD versions.
    Custom kernel has not that much influence, it depends on what you need, it's best to uninstall the generic kernel package (not a good kernel version itself).
    For HD is 30 seconds showing desktop not correct, as far as I've read it is realistic for SSD versions. Mine has HD and takes about 65 seconds showing netbook launcher and connected to wifi.
    The madwifi drivers don't drop connection when transferring large files, that's why I use madwifi. The developers of ath5k are working on a solution for that.
    You should have the recovery DVD which restores linpus when booting from external dvd or you can create a bootable usb pendrive with the DVD.

spinnekopje, Mar 18, 2009
  3. JoeDaStudd

Nudnik_de

With the Sickboy Kernel you should have a significant improvement in Boot time. I have 35 seconds from pressing Power Button into Desktop, after 50 seconds Wifi is working.

As far as I remember everything is running out of the box after installing Sickboy Kernel. Even W-Lan and W-Lan lights. There's no need for the madwifi driver. You might have issues with the card readers.

These are the following tweaks I did according to the A110 Ubuntu help page:
    - card readers
    - Fan Control
    - SSD Performance
    - firefox improvements

If you remove the generic kernel packages you shouldn't have any issues with system updates.

Nudnik_de, Mar 21, 2009
  4. JoeDaStudd

JoeDaStudd

OK.
    I installed Ubuntu then Sickboys Kernel (for some reason he site seems to go down around 10 pm GTM+0) and the firefox tweak.

I've got 2 question then I'm pretty much home free.

How much of a bad idea was copying the partitions which Linpus used (1gb for paging, the rest ext2 for the OS)?
    How do I uninstall the generic kernel (never had the need to do this)?

Thanks for all the help,

Joe

JoeDaStudd, Mar 23, 2009
  5. JoeDaStudd

itres

Question 2:

1. sudo apt-cache search linux-image-2.6
    Look for the kernel you want to remove from the output
    then do:
    2. sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6[what_you_found_in_step_1]

Grtz

itres, Mar 23, 2009