Timezone / DST

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ayiepr72, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ayiepr72

ayiepr72

Having trouble with calendar appointments being off by one hour. There doesn't seem to be a way to set up daylight savings etc. for US. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ayiepr72, Aug 13, 2008
  2. ayiepr72

hmraao

Could you be a bit more specific about what the trouble is?

For instance, is the trouble

A. that when you create a new appointment, it appears in your calendar one hour off, or

B. that when you get an alert reminder for an appointment, it occurs one hour off, or

C. something else?

What makes you think it is a daylight saving problem?

Generally, the more specific an example you give, the more likely you are to receive some useful help.

In the meantime, can I recommend the following DesktopLinux article http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3988059943.html. In particular, it contains a link to a DST time check site that you can use to verify your AAO's DST settings. http://www.dst.cdes.umn.edu/

(Ephraim Tutt, taking on the cases nobody else wants)

hmraao, Aug 14, 2008
  3. ayiepr72

ayiepr72

Thanks for your reply. I'm importing iCalendar (.ics) files from Outlook and they all show one hour early - calendar display and alerts.

ayiepr72, Aug 15, 2008
  4. ayiepr72

hmraao

importing iCalendar data offset errors

Cross platform iCalender exchanges are notoriously prone to "offset" errors. There are various, somewhat dirty, scripted solutions on offer depending on what the platform/application source and destinations are. But no universal solution to this problem that I'm aware of.

However, it could just be that your Orage timezone needs to be synchronised with your system timezone. Right-click on the AAO homepage to open the advanced desktop menu and select System>Date & Time. Select the TimeZone tab and adjust the setting if necessary. Right-click on the AAO homepage again, but this time select Settings>Calendar Settings. If its TimeZone tab shows Floating or some other timezone different from your system setting then click on it and adjust as necessary.

If this doesn't solve the problem, check the timezone settings that Outlook's using. And if that doesn't fix it, then you've reached the limit of my expertise. In which case try Googling "importing iCalendar files from Outlook one hour early" and be prepared to be thoroughly confused.

If the advanced desktop menu doesn't popup when you right click on the homepage, you need to search this board for the setting advanced desktop menu posts. There's a bunch of them. (Here, for example.)

Good luck.

hmraao, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question