Tiny 7 and SP1

Discussion in 'Windows' started by theo54au, Apr 5, 2011.

1. theo54au

theo54au

Has anyone successfully installed the SP1 update for windows 7 on a Tiny7 system with a 8gb SSD drive?
    I have been unable so far. It keeps telling me that I have "some components missing". But it fails to tell me WHAT components.

theo54au, Apr 5, 2011
  2. theo54au

TechMark

I haven't. I have ~750 netbooks on Window7 Pro, not Tiny 7.

TechMark, Apr 6, 2011
  3. theo54au

Swarvey Moderator

It's probably the same situation as people came across with vLited Vista installs. You can't install a Service Pack for Vista that has had components removed. The same is more than likely true for Tiny7 as it's been stripped down to make it "tiny"

Swarvey, Apr 6, 2011
  4. theo54au

TechMark

Sorry I disagree. Our machines have 2GB ram with Win7 Pro. and I've tried on at least 12 different netbooks, including from a fresh install and fresh image on multiple times. The most common error message for me is

Installation was not successful

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Error: ERROR_NO_SYSTEM_RESOURCES(0x800705aa)

But sometimes it does install, but then fails after configuring and rebooting and then the computer needs to be imaged again and there's no way to fix it.

TechMark, Apr 7, 2011
  5. theo54au

Swarvey Moderator

I was responding to this post, the same exact error popped up under vLited Vista installs, if the components were removed SP1 would not install. The answer was to slipstream SP1 then vLite the slipstreamed install. This problem is purely the fault of removing components from the installation media.

I'll be downloading SP1 from the update catalogue tonight and I'll see how the installation goes on my D250, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, RT7Lited install. If that fails I'll load up a clean install in a VM with D250 spec's and see if that makes a difference.

Also as per the OP, this thread is about Tiny7 installing SP1, not clean / imaged installs. Maybe you should start a new thread.

Swarvey, Apr 7, 2011
  6. theo54au

theo54au

Correct, this thread is about TINY7 as I can not install the full Windows 7 on a 8gb SSD drive. This works like a dream for me, and I can still install windows updates. So, technically I don't need SP1, as I always update my system. However, I find it useful in case of a fresh install.

theo54au, Apr 8, 2011
  7. theo54au

Swarvey Moderator

Re: Tiny 7 and SP1 [UPDATE]

As per my previous post, I attempted installing SP1 to my RT7Lite'd D250 install. As expected it failed because components were removed.

I then attempted to install SP1 to my clean-installed, yet kept up-to-date install in my VM, which failed and asked me to download the readyness pack.

I then clean-installed Win7 Ultimate into a secondary partition in my VM and before doing anything else, installed SP1 which appears to be going well.

Next stop, I'll be reverse-integrating SP1 into my install media and possibly re-RT7Liting and reinstalling my machines with SP1 from the get-go.

Swarvey, Apr 8, 2011
  8. theo54au

Jamesone

I'm kind of curious why you (answer from anyone) would feel it to advantageous to install a sp1 to a functioning Tiny7 install. I've been using Tiny 7 (+flashfire) on my 110 8gb for a long time without any problems. I have installed a security update on occasion but I just don't see the need for installing the sp1 when everything is going great. I think you run the risk of "breaking" the tiny7 OS or at the very least being caught out with a non-genuine OS
    Your opinions?
    James

Jamesone, Apr 12, 2011
  9. theo54au

Swarvey Moderator

Well I'm back, I've now integrated SP1 into all 11 Win7 Editions on my install media. Aside from downloading the 300Mb readiness pack (which may or may not have worked anyway), preintegrating it seemed to be the least painful method of getting SP1 into the system. I didn't have to reverse-integrate it as the new version of RT7Lite (v2.6.0 BETA) has a slipstream option now. So far so good, it's slightly faster than a non-SP1 system, pre-SP1 was always stable for me, but about the only thing I can say about it is that for some reason, with SP1, Firefox 4 and flash haven't been crashing anywhere near as much.

* You simply can't install SP1 on any system that has had components removed, like Tiny7

It will only catch you as being non genuine if you're using some crack, which we don't discuss on this forum. And as previously stated, it simply won't install on Tiny7 anyway.

Swarvey, Apr 12, 2011
  10. theo54au

theo54au

In the event of having to re-install Win7 for whatever reason, wouldn't it be more convenient to have an SP1, rather then having to download a massive update from Microsoft?

theo54au, Apr 13, 2011
Ask a Question