Tiny 7 Rev 01 is out

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BrandonMB, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

For those of you who have the 8GB SSD, this is absolutely the top operating system for the AAO yet! Installation takes quite some time, but includes the majority of the drivers right out of the box. Running a Windows Update will then install the chipset and updated video drivers. It also includes Windows Media Player and other functionality that was disabled in the original Tiny 7. Look at the Tiny7 discussion for a few hacks to speed the system up some more.

After then installing Flashfire, the system runs faster and more responsively than any OS I have used on the AAO by a long shot!

See my other post entitled Mount directories on SD into Libraries for more great info on customizing the AAO with Win 7.

BrandonMB, Oct 17, 2009
  2. BrandonMB

furrybandit

I agree 100%, its GREAT!! :D on my AAO. with AREO
    Boots quick, also installed flashfire. seems to make quite the diffence
    Uses a smaller foot print on HD than original tiny.
    Rev 01 has brought back missing goodies. ;)
    Networking hooked up right away.
    Hats off to the author :mrgreen:

furrybandit, Oct 19, 2009
  3. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

I would also suggest to those users trying out this OS to completely disable your page file usage if you have the SSD models. I know alot of users simply try to create a page file on their SD card, however this doesn't help those of us with SSD. If any page file is activated, regardless of it's location, Windows will create a small page file on C drive and you will notice a significant drop in system performance. Simply disable your page file entirely. I would also suggest moving your temporary internet files onto an SD drive. This will greatly speed up your web browsing experience.

BrandonMB, Oct 19, 2009
  4. BrandonMB

tavolalo

I have a AO-110 with only 8 gb SSD and 8 Gb-SDHC and this is my story

Bought it in march 2009 and worked fine in Xp but the system freezes a lot, because I installed first the full version Win 7 and ran out of space, also having a lot of freezing when working....

so I tried with Linux (ubuntu, mandriva: annoying, complex for an unexperienced user of Linux. then tried slax, this one did the trick for a month mean while find another option for Win 7 or returned back XP :( .... )

then tried win 7 eepc, and later another one that I cant remember it name....same trouble....then in forums someone writed about Tiny 7... was awesome!...Installed perfectly and did not freeze with flashpoint / flashfire for SSD.

but some times(up to now 3 times) it shows me the Blue screen of death...so I made a Image backup all bundle installed (office 2007, VLC player, Windows live , micro torrent, skype, Google desktop gadgets even Counter strike game!)in a 4 gb usb pen (took 50% of space) with acronis true image for Notebook(no tutorial needed!) and in 20 min had all going again!!! done restore up to 3 times successfully.

all my data is kept in the 8 gb SDHC so nothing is lost when I restore.
    Really happy...I was going to give it to my little girl for a toy until this worked ....next time will buy the one with HDD and install all this again!

Ps.what I really want is a stripped down version of office....so we a can reduce the installation up to 500 GB, instead of the actual 850 gb used

tavolalo, Oct 21, 2009
  5. BrandonMB

leee942

Need help! i've been experiencing problems with windows update. some updates install fine but some fail, im also trying to install the traditional chinese language pack but it keeps failing and for both i get the message with the error code 800f081f. Can someone help pls?

leee942, Oct 24, 2009
  6. BrandonMB

weelZA

hi there. sorry if this has been covered already but i am in desperate need of help. I downloaded the windows 7 revo01 from eXperience. i extracted the ISO and used magicISO to copy it to a cd. i used an external dcd drive to install to my A110. it went through the format stages and then got to installing part. it completed the first step and then started the second step but would not move past the 0% and then after some time would come up with an error and would restart and then do it all over again. i have tried booting from flash but that didnt work. i am currently using a vlite version of windows 7 that i created myself but would much rather use the tiny7 rev01. so could someone please help me and tell me what i am doing wrong and how i can get this to install. i thank everyone for the help.

weelZA, Oct 26, 2009
  7. BrandonMB

Shad0wguy

Does it take forever to shut down like my vLited install did?

Shad0wguy, Oct 26, 2009
  8. BrandonMB

KiNG

does the tiny rev01 have the search bar
    and can you use remote assistance in it ?

KiNG, Oct 26, 2009
  9. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

To be honest, I don't know about the searchbar because the first thing that I do is download Google Desktop, because I really have grown overly attached to Desktop Gadgets, and since Gadgets are disabled in Tiny 7, Google Desktop is a great option giving both Search as well as Gadget functions.

As for bootup and shutdown, especially once the FlashFire driver is installed, the bootup and shutdown time is measured in seconds, literally.

BrandonMB, Oct 26, 2009
  10. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

Yes, Remote Desktop is included.

BrandonMB, Oct 26, 2009
  11. BrandonMB

KiNG

does it work with windows messenger, the remote access ?

also is media player 12 installed ?

KiNG, Oct 26, 2009
  12. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

Not certain, I don't use the Live Messenger Remote Assistance all that much. Media Player is included.

BrandonMB, Oct 27, 2009
  13. BrandonMB

krisaxe

Hi guys,

i installed tiny7 on my 8ssd AAO last night and it seems to be working ok, the only thing it runs very slow, just like any other operating system i tried before...I'm reading about people saying it runs fast and smooth! i mean, it takes 10 seconds to open a folder here if some other operation runs in the background.. i'm starting to think there's something wrong with my aspire, i even have 1,5 ram installed. Is there any tweak i could try, maybe remove sounds and effects, to try and speed it up a bit? ;)

cheers

krisaxe, Oct 28, 2009
  14. BrandonMB

gorankx

just instal FlashFire
    its incredible how much faster comp then is.

gorankx, Oct 28, 2009
  15. BrandonMB

krisaxe

Excellent, thank you very much ;)

krisaxe, Oct 28, 2009
  16. BrandonMB

Shad0wguy

Has anyone been able to install off a flash drive? I tried extracting the iso onto the drive, but it wont boot from it. Says "Remove or replace boot media"

Shad0wguy, Oct 28, 2009
  17. BrandonMB

gorankx

Use UltraIso software,
    you can ownload even trial version, after install, run as administrator - find iso that you want to put on usb then in Bootable select Write disk image and that is all - you have bootable usb drive

gorankx, Oct 28, 2009
  18. BrandonMB

Racer38

I installed Tiny 7 rev 01 via a 1 gig thumb drive by following the instructions from another post on this forum. All I can say is it works Great ... I have run into some install issues with some of my programs but have found work arounds for most. You cant run the XP Mode virtual PC as the Acer doesnt have the hardware to support it. I have a 350 gig HD in my system so I wasnt too worried about space and would love to see a larger version for us HDD users.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together, its awesome !

Racer38, Oct 29, 2009
  19. BrandonMB

furrybandit

here is another little tweek, seems to have improved things a little ..

ENABLE L2 cache

All you have to do, is click on Start, Run... and type in Regedit. This will open the Registry Editor. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management. Find and double-click the key called SecondLevelDataCache. A box will pop up and all you have to do is, type in 512 and restart your Aspire One. Done, now you should see a little speed boost.

furrybandit, Dec 5, 2009
  20. BrandonMB

Biodome

Hey BrandonMB, have you gotten homegroup working yet? or just file sharing from another computer on the network?

Biodome, Dec 28, 2009
Ask a Question