Tiny7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by yohko101, Aug 27, 2009.

1. yohko101

AirWick

Hi,
    I installed Rev01 now and it's great! It runs almost out of the box.^^
    But I got still a few problems at the moment:
    - Windows Update Fails at Important Updates for Windows 7 ?
    - gadget gallery is not working
    - and the worst: I can't install a language pack (update error) :(

Anyone got a solution? Maybe manual download of the language pack german (where?)?

AirWick, Oct 20, 2009
  2. yohko101

BrandonMB

In Tiny 7, some important updates will fail due to missing packages that were removed in order to shrink Tiny7 into a package that will fit on the AAO. I have heard from others having the same problems with the language pack. Let me know what important updates aren't installing, and I can let you know if they are important or not. The ones that I have seen so far are compatibility updates, which have little to no real affect on the system.

Gadgets were removed from Tiny 7 in order to save space, however I personally really like having gadgets, especially the system monitor. I have found the best solution is to simply download Google Desktop, which allows you to run desktop apps. They aren't the same as the Windows Gallery apps, but they have the same functionality, and are at least as reliable, if not more.

BrandonMB, Oct 20, 2009
  3. yohko101

BrandonMB

I will create a tutorial on Hiren's boot CD and using Ghost to backup your drive, but likely won't get to it until tomorrow. In the meantime, look up Hiren's Boot CD and download the latest version you can find.

BrandonMB, Oct 20, 2009
  4. yohko101

AirWick

Thanks, I'll let you know when I'm back home from work.
    I've found a download for the language Pack. I tried to install it manually but the installer fails.
    Then I tried http://www.froggie.sk/ but that failed, too. :(

AirWick, Oct 21, 2009
  5. yohko101

tavolalo

I have a AO-110 with only 8 gb SSD and 8 Gb-SDHC and this is my story

Bought it in march 2009 and worked fine in Xp but the system freezes a lot, because I installed first the full version Win 7 and ran out of space, also having a lot of freezing when working....

so I tried with Linux (ubuntu, mandriva: annoying, complex for an unexperienced user of Linux. then tried slax, this one did the trick for a month mean while find another option for Win 7 or returned back XP :( .... )

then tried win 7 eepc, and later another one that I cant remember it name....same trouble....then in forums someone writed about Tiny 7... was awesome!...Installed perfectly and did not freeze with flashpoint / flashfire for SSD.

but some times(up to now 3 times) it shows me the Blue screen of death...so I made a Image backup all bundle installed (office 2007, VLC player, Windows live , micro torrent, skype, Google desktop gadgets even Counter strike game!)in a 4 gb usb pen (took 50% of space) with acronis true image for Notebook(no tutorial needed!) and in 20 min had all going again!!! done restore up to 3 times successfully.

all my data is kept in the 8 gb SDHC so nothing is lost when I restore.
    Really happy...I was going to give it to my little girl for a toy until this worked ....next time will buy the one with HDD and install all this again!

Ps.what I really want is a stripped down version of office....so we a can reduce the installation up to 500 GB, instead of the actual 850 gb used.

tavolalo, Oct 21, 2009
  6. yohko101

circusman

Hi evryone,

I-ve finaly installed Tiny 7 on my ZG5 (8gb-ssd 1gb Ram) and although its fastar than XP, it still freezes sometimes!

Do you recomend the installment of Flashfire?

Thank you

*EDIT:

Dont need to reply me, i've already installed Flashfire and its perfect now. I TOTALY recomend Tiny 7 with Flashfire(vista version) for Aspire One ZG5. Its realy fast!

circusman, Oct 22, 2009
  7. yohko101

KiNG

i just installed tiny7 onto my aspire one, (8.9" 1.50gb 120gb hd) and it runs very fast and smooth, everything works straight from the word go, and microsoft has a few updates already for it on the ms updater (the intel graphics update is a must 17.2mb)

KiNG, Oct 25, 2009
  8. yohko101

furrybandit

Mine runs great too :D
    But by chance do any of you loose your windows search with Rev 01 ?
    mine was there upon re installtion and then i lost it,
    even gone in "folder options" :?: :cry:

furrybandit, Oct 25, 2009
  9. yohko101

KiNG

yea thats one thing i miss

does anyone know how to activate remote assistance in tiny7 and is it in tiny7 rev1 ?

KiNG, Oct 26, 2009
  10. yohko101

BrandonMB

Remote Desktop was disabled in Tiny 7, but is back in with Rev 01. For Search, I recommend installed Google Desktop. Provides both Desktop Search as well as Desktop Gadgets. For me, the Desktop Gadgets are essential for the System Monitor. Allows me to watch system resources so I can easily tell if a website has hijacked my browser or if the system is having problems (as compared to simply a backlog of hard drive writes).

BrandonMB, Oct 26, 2009
  11. yohko101

Racer38

I installed Tiny 7 Rev 01 but no Media Player ???

Racer38, Oct 29, 2009
  12. yohko101

Hodge

I'm now running Tiny7 on my 8gb ssd with about 6gb free space. Ran flashfire and installed Google Chrome, Spotify, Open Office, Avast and CCCP with photoshop cs4 running off an sd card and I'm very very impressed.
    I was running the RC before and had about 25mb free (never bothered to turn off page file) and this is like a dream in comparison.

Thank you Tiny Windows person, whoever you are!

Hodge, Nov 1, 2009
  13. yohko101

Prodigy.NL

Do you have the normal tiny 7 or the rev 1?
    On my rev 1 i cant install chrome as it says i need to update frameware to service pack 1 and when i want to do that it gives an error.

Prodigy.NL, Nov 2, 2009
  14. yohko101

zia

I installed tiny7 Rev.1 on my One A110 with 8GB SSD. Installation took some time. After installation i ran Flashfire and now my One is working very well. I am very impressed that it works so glad :) I still have approx. 3GB of free space after installing OpenOffice, Avast AV and a lot of other stuff. I am also using a separate 8GB SD card.

For those who have a A110 and want to install Windows7 i can just recommend Tiny7. Great job :)

zia, Nov 2, 2009
  15. yohko101

Gizmo

I have this working very well on a bog standard AA1 with SSD/512mb ram. It's at least as fast as XP but crucially doesn't suffer from the freezes I got with XP - (I do have Flashfire installed).

Only problem is getting a three 3G dongle to work - Win7 finds and installs the driver perfectly, the connect program runs but it just will not connect. I'd hate to have to lose the tiny Win7 - can anyone confirm getting mobile broadband working?

Gizmo, Nov 2, 2009
  16. yohko101

BrandonMB

I'll be honest that I haven't got a 3G dongle to work yet, but I also haven't tried. Personally I picked up a $5.00 USB bluetooth dongle, barely sticks out the side of my laptop, and created a bluetooth dial-up connection using my 3G Blackberry. It works just fine. I have a USB 3G stick at the office, on Rogers (AT&T Canada). Will give it a shot when I get back to the office.

BrandonMB, Nov 4, 2009
  17. yohko101

Hodge

As far as I know it's Rev 1. The search bars are there and everything and that's what the download said it was. Chrome installed right away.

Hodge, Nov 5, 2009
  18. yohko101

larkim

Tell me to get stuffed if this is a potentially inflamatory post!!

I have purchased (but not yet opened or installed) a full (fresh install) copy of Windows 7. I am currently running the Windows 7 public beta (7100) and have been sufficiently impressed that I want to install a fully legal version of Windows 7 that will take me past March next year.

If I download and install Tiny7, will I be able to legitimise it? Will it want my product key, and will that product key work (I've purchased UK editions of Win7)?

Is there any documentation about what I lose by going for Tiny7? Or can I be selective during installation about which features I enable / disable?

Cheers!

Matt

larkim, Nov 6, 2009
  19. yohko101

funthumbsup2

using Tiny7 on Standard AA1 1/2 GB RAM 8gb ssd :) I got Orange mobile broadband dongle to work in xp compatability mode BUT not three dongle :cry: inc' e160 w7 dongle firmware upgrade from three site ...will keep trying :( [email protected]

funthumbsup2, Nov 7, 2009
  20. yohko101

funthumbsup2

on mine same setup for other res i installed aspire intel drivers from site install in xp compatibility mode good luck [email protected] :cool: :D

funthumbsup2, Nov 7, 2009
Ask a Question