Tiny7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by yohko101, Aug 27, 2009.

1. yohko101

geekrebel

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me. I've installed Tiny7 successfully and it's running very nicely on my Aspire One ZG5 with 8GB SSD. (Much faster than TinyXP was).

However, I can't get the AirView2 Spectrum Analyzer driver from Ubiquiti (http://ubnt.com/airview/downloads.php) working.

The device is detected, but drivers don't install successfully. Under "Devices & Printers", it shows up as 'AirView' and when I Right-Click and select Troubleshoot, it told me that C:\Windows\System32\msdt.exe is missing.

I managed to get the right version from a friend, and copied it to the System32 folder. (SFC /VERIFYFILE didn't work, but I suspect that has to do with a stripped down winsxs folder)

I re-installed the device, but now it gives a (slightly) different error:
    Which file?

Has anyone had similar problems? Where do I begin to troubleshoot? Are there log files to look at to try and figure out what file might now be missing? Or could the msdt.exe file from my friend perhaps be from the wrong build?

geekrebel, Nov 7, 2009
  2. yohko101

h4ckii

Hi all,

I installed Tiny7 rev 01 on my A110 / 8GB SSD / 1GB ram model.
    Used to run Ron's Tiny XP - worked great with flashfire.

7 Install took about an hour.
    Installed Flashfire 0.99 - speed much better as expected :)
    Did update Windows, updated a few patches and VGA driver.
    USB 3G modem works.

Under device manager is "other devices" - 3 x base system device.
    Anyone else gets that?
    It has something todo with SD card, because when I insert SD card into slot on the right hand side op A110 I get another 3 base system devices under other devices.
    But I can use the SD card just fine in both slots.

Has anyine tried any fan conrol software like aa1fancontrol?
    My fan never turns off, I am going to try aa1fancontrol.

Battery life seems a bit worse. Will report back on that.

Other than that Win 7 runs nicely :)

h4ckii, Nov 8, 2009
  3. yohko101

h4ckii

Interesting Win7 runs NTFS on this SSD drive pretty well.
    I did disable the page file - should help the SSD drive lifespan and general performance.

I installed aa1fancontrol.
    It works on Win 7.
    Changed it to start up every time Windows start.
    It is keeping the fan under control now.
    Working on battery now and fan has not come on yet.
    CPU running at 64'c at the moment. Fan comes on a 70'c.
    This should help with battery life.

h4ckii, Nov 8, 2009
  4. yohko101

jchedley

i have this problem too. i need to install .NET framwork 3.5.1 SP1 in order to install chrome (chrome errors on install). in the add programs and features dialogue in win7, i can check the framework options, although that doesnt install correctly.

ive tried downloading the framework too, but that doesnt install. im guessing it wont ust be chrome that has a problem with this :(

im using tiny7 rev 01.

would like to ditch explorer 8 for chrome.

anybody know of a fix?

otherwise running well!

jchedley, Nov 11, 2009
  5. yohko101

Shad0wguy

I've been running tiny7 for about a month now. It works very well except for a small issue in firefox. For some reason it will freeze up every once in a while for about 10 seconds, and during this time the hdd activity light is lit. Has anyone else had this issue, and what is a possible fix?

Shad0wguy, Nov 11, 2009
  6. yohko101

Shad0wguy

Never mind, I figured out the issue. Simply turning off the offline cache in firefox resolved the issue.

Shad0wguy, Nov 11, 2009
  7. yohko101

cv65user

I installed win7 but its made this annoying EISA partition which is not in my computer . i can only see it in disk management console. and its not even enabled so i can not even check what it is ? - is it for the boot loader?
    and can anyone confirm the battery issues is it because tiny 7 is beta version so battery is an issue?

does the RTC candidate doesnt have this battery issue ? if so , wil they revise tiny 7 to RTC version ?

cv65user, Nov 12, 2009
  8. yohko101

bach_tenor

How long did this take to install for everyone? Installing the RCs and RTM version on my desktop took around 15-20 minutes using a DVD.

On my AAO a110 it's going over an hour now, most of that time was spent at the completing installation... part.

Is this typical? I'm installing off of 1Gb USB drive.

bach_tenor, Nov 12, 2009
  9. yohko101

hanso

Is the partition about 100MB? It is for the boot system Windows 7 now uses. You will only see this on clean installs on an empty disk. Just ignore it, dont delete it.

hanso, Nov 12, 2009
  10. yohko101

bach_tenor

Just FYI, it took about 1:15 to install Windows 7 from a USB drive onto my 8Gb SSD. It took forever on completing installation but finished about 10 minutes after my last post.

I have a new question though: After attempting to install Chrome I found I needed .net framework 3.5 SP1. I tried installing it from add/remove features but it failed. I also tried downloading the package from Microsoft, but it says I need to do it from the add/remove features, so I'm at a deadlock with this.

I'm using Tiny7 Rev.1, has anyone had any luck getting this to work?

I check the .net framework button in add/remove features, I can also open up the subtree and manually check the two objects within, but it gives me an error right at the very end after trying to install, and then asks me to reboot. I've rebooted several times after trying, and it always reverts to the same state.

bach_tenor, Nov 12, 2009
  11. yohko101

cv65user

yeah not alot . its only a few mb , not in the gigs territory . my friend kept telling me to delete it he said its a recovery option . obviously not when the partition is only a few mb in size.

cv65user, Nov 13, 2009
  12. yohko101

evolyou

Install Firefox first and then try to run the Chrome installer again. I know it sounds weird but it worked for me :D. Good luck!

evolyou, Nov 14, 2009
  13. yohko101

echundotcom

Anybody else having issues with Briefcases in Tiny7? I'm finding very slow access to the briefcases created on a SD card... it's really slow.

I've been trying to see if it's a setting on Win7 or something, but thought I'd post here, since I have a Tiny7 install

echundotcom, Nov 20, 2009
  14. yohko101

Scissors

What are the benefits from running Tiny7?

Is it just reduced size, or does it use less RAM?
    And does it have any flaws?

If it just uses less storage space, I'll stick with the regular distro. Considering that I have a 320 gig HDD, it wouldn't matter much.

Scissors, Nov 21, 2009
  15. yohko101

terence

I'm a bit puzzled about earlier posts in this thread saying that Rev01 didn't have gadgets. I've got gadgets on my desktop in all their splendour, and they were included in Rev01!

What I HAVEN'T got despite hair-tearing attempts day in and out, is On Screen Display showing the results of pressing Fn + an F key or similar, e.g. showing volume changes, speaker mute, etc. I've tried all the workarounds detailed in this forum, without success (I'm using an 110 with an SSD). I can also 'see' my Acer webcam but can't seem to find anything which would allow me to do anything with it.

For the rest Tiny7 is an absolute joy on this machine, given that I have enough RAM (1.5 GB) to handle it. I got around the lack of System Restore (stripped out in Tiny7) with a useful German equivalent freebie called Erunt (no, really....), FlashFire cut the dreadful initial bootup times by half, disabling indexing helped a lot, of course no pagefile.

The file system has to be NTFS (W7 no longer allows FAT32), the freebie MoveMe allows the display of dialog boxes which are too deep for the shallow screen, and downloading the latest X-Setup system tweaker has loads of useful tweaks which work a treat (the program runs free for 30 days). The workaround enabling the default-hidden StereoMix helped me to fix the well-known block on recording streaming audio. And for anyone who wants to live dangerously you could try installing the freebie SuperFastShutdown which does exactly what it says on the tin but beware that it loses any changes you made to your desktop etc, the price you pay for instant-off.

For anyone who's interested, even with a host of heavy-duty apps (Office 2007, CorelDraw Suite and more), bootup time is 1'05 and shutdown is 1'25. And once Windows 7's Superfetch kicks in applications really fly!

terence, Dec 4, 2009
  16. yohko101

Poelsa

Hey, how did you guys install? I don't have access to a dvd-player, so i tried with a usb-drive, however it seems tricky. Someone said to format as FAT32 and just copy the files from the ISO onto the USB, however, when i boot nothing happen. Others said to format as NTFS and copy the files onto the USB, same result. A third source on the interweb said that i had to use mbrwiz to install, but i think i'm just too fucking stupid to get this to work.

Huggggzzz and Kizzezzzz ;)

Poelsa, Dec 8, 2009
  17. yohko101

h4ckii

h4ckii, Dec 9, 2009
  18. yohko101

Poelsa

Thanks.

Poelsa, Dec 9, 2009
  19. yohko101

terence

Just in answer to something mentioned above, you can no longer use FAT32 for Windows 7, only NTFS. In fact it won't allow you to format an external drive to FAT32 either (unless you use third-party software like Partition Magic), though there is the option of a new proprietary MS format called exFAT which cannot be read by other systems without installing converters, beware!

terence, Dec 15, 2009
  20. yohko101

Blahah

For those having trouble installing Chrome, I found that it wouldn't install from within Internet Explorer. Install firefox, then download the installation file and run it (choose 'save as...' instead of 'open').

I installed Chrome beta 4, so I'm not sure if this works for the current stable version.

Tiny7 Rev01 works brilliantly on the 8GB AAO 110 with 1.5GB RAM, very fast with flashfire installed. Running portable apps from a high speed SD card gives an extra performance increase. Microsoft office 2007 and 2003, Adobe Creative Suite and other large apps all run perfectly. Demonoid has some good packs of portable apps if you're looking for them.

Blahah, Jan 5, 2010
Ask a Question