TinyXP required for HDD install?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by beerglass007, Jan 16, 2009.

1. beerglass007

beerglass007

Hi

I've just got a new AcerOne and its got a 160GB HDD inside. Do I need a tinyXP install or can I use my standard XP CD ?

If its just less disc space i'll go for the standard install. But seeing alot of people talking about tinyXP installs.

Its currently only got 512MB ram but i've ordered another 1GB to install when it turns up

Many Thanks

beerglass007, Jan 16, 2009
  2. beerglass007

goofball

You can use standard XP install if you want. TinyXP is just for those that want a leaner OS but you can also just use nlite to create your own slimmer install.

goofball, Jan 16, 2009
  3. beerglass007

goaten2000

Like you i've just purchased the 160gb version with linux however I went with the TinyXP version having never used it before.

I can honestly say the tinyXP version has everything I need on it and XP loads really quick (c.20-30 seconds) snd I'm certain the full version would take longer to load !!

Give it a go, what's the worst that can happen? You won't like it and can install the full version anyway

goaten2000, Jan 17, 2009
  4. beerglass007

jeremysdad

Full version will load in 25-30 seconds if you know how to configure it to do so...just sayin... :)

jeremysdad, Jan 17, 2009
  5. beerglass007

Rooster#1

..and how do we do that ?

I am in the same boat as the OP... I want XP, but which version ? Its all soooo confusing.

WHICH XP FOR HDD ???????? Boot up speed is the priority for me... PLEASE

Rooster#1, Jan 21, 2009
  6. beerglass007

jeremysdad

Well, for me, it involved a lot of google searching for tips/tweaks and a lot of registry editing/other tweaks. Disabling services, startup menu items, etc. You just have to play around, and back-up often. Just Google "speeding up XP", and "Xp boot times", etc.

Also, the biggest improvement comes from using Microsoft's Bootvis. It CAN destroy your OS bootability, but I have not had a single issue with using it, and I have used it a thousand times. You have to redo it every so often, especially after a defrag.

Don't be afraid of breaking XP...if you are, then you'll just have to settle for stock performance. There are a thousand threads on here about XP tweaks. Most of them are for the SSD models, but most of the tweaks apply to the HDD models as well. Another big improvement in startup times came from the HDD upgrade, FWIW, but the 25ish boot times I achieved with the stock HD, which is a decent model. I am just not happy to settle for stock, a trait that I have carried over from cars to computers...

jeremysdad, Jan 21, 2009
  7. beerglass007

mmad

I've currently got a full Windows XP Pro SP3 install on my AAO and it boots in less than a minute - no tweaks applied. XP even runs smoother than it does on my desktop - I'm puzzled :roll:.

mmad, Jan 21, 2009
  8. beerglass007

jeremysdad

You eye-rollin me? What are you puzzled about? That you have to tweak XP to get it to boot into a usable state in 25-30 seconds from a cold boot? I don't see where the confusion, or eye rolling comes into play...pretty straight forward, IMHO...

jeremysdad, Jan 21, 2009
  9. beerglass007

mmad

Errr read the sentence: XP even runs smoother than it does on my desktop - I'm puzzled. Im not sure why a full version of XP runs smoother on my AAO as opposed to a full version on my desktop which is considerably more powerful.

mmad, Jan 21, 2009
  10. beerglass007

jeremysdad

My bad...the roll-eyes got misconstrued as a sign of aggression...like you were calling me stupid, or something... :oops:

jeremysdad, Jan 21, 2009
  11. beerglass007

mmad

No worries, admittedly I probably shouldn't have quoted you when my point had nothing to do with your post :oops:.

mmad, Jan 22, 2009
  12. beerglass007

jeremysdad

No harm, no foul... :D

jeremysdad, Jan 23, 2009
  13. beerglass007

DynaMight

TinyXP has alot of stuff removed, it is possible that you may need something that's removed and if you do, its very very hard to reinstall it again. It will take less hard drive space and it's also lighter on resources, but XP isnt exactly a hog.

I had a highly nLite'd install on my EeePC because of the 4GB SSD but have a standard install (well I used nLite to remove other languages and make some small adjustments) on the Acer and it's fine, I did however tweak the services a little.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm I would recommend the 'SAFE' option but the tweaked option will probably be ok.

DynaMight, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question