Tip to save 1.5GB hard drive space - hibernate mode 0

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by robo, Jan 31, 2009.

1. robo

robo

Ever since installing OS X on my AAO, i had been irked by the 'sleepimage contains garbage' and 'hibernate mode failed' messages on startup, and realized that a 1.5GB (same size as RAM) 'sleepimage' file was being created at startup in /private/var/vm/. Since the AAO doesn't support sleep, this file is useless, but takes up a chunk of space and leads to those three error messages at startup.

Simply deleting the file doesn't really help, since the file gets recreated the next time you start, but I found the proper (i think) solution, which is to turn off the 'safe sleep' mode using the pmset command - the sleepimage file is used for safe seep (basically it keeps a copy of your RAM contents on the HD), but we don't care since we aren't using sleep anyway.

the command is:

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

Typically, hibernate mode will be set to 3. You can verify this before using the above command by doing

pmset -g

and looking at the integer that follows 'hibernatemode'. That way, you can easily set it back if you have problems, although I haven't had any.

Anyway, after that just delete the sleepimage file in the terminal with the command:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Hope that's useful!

Of course, i'd much rather we actually HAD a working sleep function, but at least this way we don't have to waste disk space on a feature we can't use! ;)

-Robin

robo, Jan 31, 2009
  2. robo

Shoesy

I use hibernate mode on my aaone, using the 'smart sleep' preference pane add on to force the hibernate mode instead of the crash inducing normal sleep mode.
    Only thing to watch for is that you don't use an encrypted virtual memory file - check the settings under security in system preferences. Make sure 'use secure virtual memory' is turned off.
    Hibernate mode I find to be a good alternative to sleep, but doesn't work every time, I would say 9 times out of ten.
    Also sound does not function after the wake up :(
    Oh by the way if your wake up does fail press f8 on bootup to get to the boot options screen, and type '-nowake' (without the speech marks!) to boot up afresh.

Hope this helps- but if anyone has a way of using proper sleep or having sound work after wake up please let me know!

Shoesy, Jan 31, 2009
  3. robo

robo

Yeah - i thought of trying the hibernate mode thing but it sounds a little too kludgy at the moment. And startup takes less than 50 seconds as it is..

robo, Feb 1, 2009
  4. robo

jrvirtue

Worked like a champ, thanks!

jrvirtue, Feb 1, 2009
  5. robo

ahovis

Couple of questions here. So how do you make it hibernate? Issue the sleep command after setting the pref pane? Also, did you have to remove the insomniax from the system or is it ok to leave it in.

ahovis, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question