Tor Installation

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 1050rat, Nov 29, 2008.

1. 1050rat

1050rat

Can anyone help me understand how to install Tor ?

I'm a Linux newbie and without explicit copy and paste commands to follow I'm lost ! I don't even know whether to download the binary or source code from here ?! :

http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en

Any help much appreciated.

Ciao

1050rat, Nov 29, 2008
  2. 1050rat

rbil

It's in the repos, so a simple ...

sudo yum install tor

should install it for you.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 29, 2008
  3. 1050rat

1050rat

Thanks rbil I wasn't aware of that !

I've installed both Tor and Privoxy (using the same sudo yum method described) but have run into a few configuration issues :

1. How do I get Privoxy to run after installing it ?!
    2. How do I change the default configuration file settings as suggested elsewhere on the web. I can find a configuration file by searching but this is a txt type guide and not the actual configuration file ! Where is it !?
    3. I'm having a some problems with the network settings to use with Mozilla any recommendations ?

I have set up and used this facility before on windows but am struggling a little with Linpus Lite !

Any more help would be appreciated ! PS. This is after extensive reading up..it is of course a lot easier if someone shows you how !

Cheers

1050rat

1050rat, Nov 30, 2008
  4. 1050rat

rbil

I used tor a couple years ago on my main box that runs Ubuntu. I can't remember the details. I do remember that I found a Firefox addon that placed an icon on the status bar of Firefox, allowing me to simply click it to surf the web through tor. I haven't played with it on Linpus, so can't give you any specifics of how to set it up. Sorry. There must be some README file or other documentation that will tell you what you need to do.

Here's the FF addon, btw ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2275

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 30, 2008
  5. 1050rat

1050rat

Managed to get it working after a little bit of messing about !!

Privoxy configuration file requires to be modified with a few tweaks...

Cheers

1050rat, Nov 30, 2008
  6. 1050rat

hbecker

Hello,

obviously u did manage to install and activate TOR on your Aspire One with Linpus Linux Lite. Could you share your knowledge with me and tell me how to do it? I ve just purchased the aspire and unfortunally I am not used to work with linux. i use TOR with my MS based PC and I would like to use it with aspire netbook as well.

thx for your help in advance.
    best regards
    heiko

hbecker, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question