Touch Sceen Panel Reviews

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ineedaname, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ineedaname

ineedaname

Ok guys well there are more and more touch screen mod sellers growing everyday. What I want to do is get all the people who have bought panels to give a small review on the panel that they got so others can get a better idea of who to by from.

So basically here are some questions and each mini review should follow a similar format .

Where you got it?
    This should be the most obvious one. Include a link if possible.

How much did it cost?
    Preferably in USD and don't forget to mention shipping costs and duties.

What type of kit was it?
    What was included in the kit and whether it was solder or solderless

Overall quality of kit
    So was the screen blurry or have some other kind of defects. Or the controller and other stuff that came with the kit. Did all the parts work proplerly?

Shipping and Packaging
    So did it ship fast and come well packaged? Was the screen cracked? Were things missing in the kit?

Overall Sale
    Give a basic 5 star rating. Also include any extra tid bits of info that is good to know. For example was the seller friendly or able to speak english.

I'll start off the thread with my own review

ineedaname, Nov 16, 2008
  2. ineedaname

ineedaname

Where: Toptouchscreen on eBay but the seller doesn't seem to be selling anymore. Maybe they will have more later.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/toptouchscreen/

Price: $41 USD for the kit and $25 USD for shipping to Canada. Didn't get charged customs.

Kit Type: Was a regular kit (soldering required) for an eeepc 900. Included Panel, controller, twistie stylus pen, plastic opener, 3m double sided tape and plenty of wires. Did not include a connector to the controller though. It wasn't a big deal because it was a solder kit but I thought I should mention it.

Quality: The panel is definitely thinner than other panels. It measures about 1.1m as opposed to others which advertise 1.4mm. Don't know if its stronger but it definitely does not bend when i press down in the middle with my stylus. I did notice there is a slight yellowish tinge on the screen but I'm not sure if other screens will have that. Visibility is very clear but I do notice there is a difference between not having it on. One problem I did have with the screen is that the connector wire is placed on the LEFT instead of the right. Having the connector on the right is preferable on the A1 but not a huge set back. The controller seemed to be good quality and had no problems installing it with the software or hardware. Tested on XP. Everything worked great when it was all plugged in properly.

Shipping & Packaging: The shipping took 2 weeks without being stuck at customs. For reference that's the normal time it takes for me to get stuff from asia on ebay. As I stated above I didn't get taxed or anything when it came. The packaging was very good. Lots of foam padding was used to ensure it wouldn't break. They actually spent time to make sure it was packaged nicely. Everything they said would be included was there and the screen wasn't cracked or scratched.

Overall Sale: The seller didn't really speak english but did attempt to answer any questions I had usually within a day. Overall the sale went very well and the only real hiccup was the connector on the left but to be fair it is stated clearly on the sale page. I give this guy 4 stars since there were no problems and the quality was good overall

ineedaname, Nov 16, 2008
  3. ineedaname

razcalk

i ordered one on Oct.28 from toptouchscreen..its Nov. 18...still not here.

Also Can you post a picture with the touchscreen on? And can you use your finger with the touchscreen? Not fingernail but finger... Thanks

razcalk, Nov 19, 2008
  4. ineedaname

alanine

Any news on this? I'm considering ordering from them, but I'm most concerned about the graininess, and how easy to mod for Aspire One since it was sold for EEE.

alanine, Dec 6, 2008
  5. ineedaname

champagj

I bought the solderless kit from ebay.

About 120 USD including shipping to Canada from Taiwan. Kit arrived in about 3 days!

Includes controller (4 USB hub), screen, cables, rubbers, drivers, etc...

Packaging was good and all the stuff arrived in good condition.

During the installation one of the wires coming off the controller came loose and needed re-soldering.

Driver installation on Linpus went without a hitch. The end result is very positive. Too early to tell but I believe it does reduce battery life noticeably.

Yes, it is a solderless kit but don't let be fooled: This is not an easy task. You need the right tools, patience, steady hands and good eyes. You are taking the whole netbook apart and putting it back together with new modules and wires. I followed all the instructions and took my time and still had to step back and undo a few steps a couple times.

If you are planning to add other USB widget then this kit is a good pick.

Maybe a little more money but easier than other options (relatively).

JF

champagj, Dec 14, 2008
  6. ineedaname

champagj

I have had the kit working for a few days and it is performing well.

Anybody with the solderless kit experienced reduced battery life?

I have a 3 cells as well as a 6 cells battery and doing testing but it looks like the kit has shaved off at least one hour on the 6 cells.

Dont really want to disconnect the kit to confirm.. I may just have to.

Not sure what the added draw is but according to some other posts it should not be much..

Feedback?

champagj, Dec 17, 2008
  7. ineedaname

jerryt

Please provide feedback on these two kits;

$56.89 or $59.85 Requires soldering
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15611 (Has free shipping)
    http://www.fidohub.com/product.php?prod_id=38&sort3=
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/toptouchs ... omZQQ_mdoZ

and

$96.08 Solderless
    http://www.fidohub.com/product.php?prod_id=37&sort3=

Thanks

jerryt, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question