touchpad disable

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JohnG38, May 14, 2012.

1. JohnG38

JohnG38

I have to manually run a syndaemon command to disable the touchpad while typing every time I start up

how can I make it run automatically as part of the start-up process?

I am generally on the ball and computer literate, but have no knowledge of linux so any advice has to assume I can't fill in any gaps - it has to be an idiot step by step instruction :)

I have an acer aspire one

any help gratefully accepted ...

JohnG38, May 14, 2012
  2. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

There are multiple ways to achieve this

you could a .desktop file at
    ~/.config/autostart
    call it something like
    touchpad-disable.desktop
    and make its contents read

That will then be run at startup .. and will be user specific

==========

Or if you want it to apply to ALL users .. the easiest way would be to add the command just above the
    exit 0
    line in
    /etc/rc.local

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 14, 2012
  3. JohnG38

donec

I have used "touchpad-indicator" and it worked fine with Gnome in Linux Mint 11 and 12. It give you the ability to turn off or on the touch pad and give an indication in the task bar.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
    donec, May 15, 2012
  4. JohnG38

JohnG38

Thanks PCnetspec and donec for the response. I don't think I have 'Gnome' . the second of PCN's options would seem to be the favourite, but as I said, I am a complete novice, and also forgotten those few things I knew about linux.

eg I can get 'terminal' up, but how do I find the file you refer to? presumably there will be an edit and save option, so adding the line is no problem, just no idea how to get there, sorry ...

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  5. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

Which Linux distribution are you using ? .. the reason I ask is I can't give you a command to start your text editor unless I know whch text editor your distro uses.

try these 4 .. they will either open the file in your text editor, or fail with an error.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    or
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/rc.local
    or
    Code:
    sudo leafpad /etc/rc.local
    or
    Code:
    sudo kate /etc/rc.local
    BTW, when that file opens, it should NOT be empty .. if it is, do NOT save it, just close it without saving, and let me know.

If non of those open the file, post what your Linux Distribution is .. and any error messages from the above commands.

If you're running Linpus Lite, my best advice would be to ditch it and move to PeppermintOS Two ... Linpus Lite is based on Fedora core 8 which reached "end of life" ages ago, so Linpus doesn't receive software or security updates any longer (which is why it makes you jump through hoops to install anything).

PeppermintOS is based on Ubuntu but is smaller and lighter .. and has easy (few mouse clicks) access to ALL the latest software.

Full Installation tutorial/walkthrough here if you wish:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9782.0
    (and help if needed)

Then you'd be able to use donec's suggestion, as touchpad-indicator IS available in PeppermintOS

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
  6. JohnG38

JohnG38

ok, the middle one worked.

I got to a file called rc.local

it was headed with warning about being root etc

it had a note that said the script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts and ... can put your own init stuff if don't want to use Sys V stuff ..

two lines in file:

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    set pci -d 197b 2381 AE=47

so (this may seem a daft question :) ) do I just add the -d syndaemon ... command to these and save?

I think it is Linpus light. It is one of the early aspire ones w 9" screen.

I hear what you say about the os, so will delve into recomended exp to see if I feel confident to do it ...

thank you muchly.

JohnG

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  7. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

OK, if you open a terminal and run:
    Code:
     sudo mousepad /etc/rc.local
    and enter your password when asked

Mousepad should open /etc/rc.local with root privileges, and allow you to edit it.
    (if it won't let you edit it, let me know)

make it read:-

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    set pci -d 197b 2381 AE=47
    your command goes here

then save the file.

ie. put your command on it's own line, after the commands that are already there.

And SERIOUSLY .. move off Linpus Lite ;)

I'm always on that forum I linked to and will help you through installing PeppermintOS .. it's really quite easy, even though the tutorial looks a bit long.

But even if you choose something other than PeppermintOS .. still get rid of Linpus, it's rubbish :)

PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
  8. JohnG38

JohnG38

okay - the command is in place now. fortunately, I didn't need a password - I discovered that even though it was all in brand new condition when I got it, it must have been returned to the shop and a password put in (which I don't know). It was such a bargain, though (£160), and there were no more left, I didn't bother to chase it.

I have downloaded the ISO, and will study the instructions.

Thanks again.

JohnG

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  9. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

Are you saying you cannot edit the file because you don't know your password ?

PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
  10. JohnG38

JohnG38

er, ... no I said it was 'in place' and I didn't need the password. (I explained why that would have been difficult) all done!

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  11. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

Okey dokey :)

PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
  12. JohnG38

JohnG38

Thankyou, I have worked through your excellent instruction and installed peppermint successfully.

I have a few comments:

I printed out the instructions and found the 'Code' sections very hard to read. It would be nice to make them bigger and not grey for people who want to do the same.

Stage 6: I could not tell whether the lxdm was an 1 (one) or an l (el) . later, you highlight a code with an 'i' in. It might help to do the same here - I initially got it wrong.

Stage 7: initially, I didn't register the warning below the action command, and went for the Ubuntu update. However, I read it belatedly :) and halted the process and re installed peppermint completely to be sure. Your presentation is clear and logical, but I'd suggest putting the warning before the action command, solely for bloody idiots like me who just dive in ..

Stage 9: I could not find a 'Quick filter' box. - I'd like to know how to do that stage.

as I say, many, many thanks for the information. You have changed my world!!! :)

JohnG

Stage

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  13. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

Make sure Synaptic and/or the Update Manager are NOT running ..

Then make sure apt-xapian-index is installed, by opening a terminal and running:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace] sudo apt-get install apt-xapian-index[/FONT]

Now follow Stage 9 again .. the "Quick Filter" box is on the toolbar in Synaptc, just to the left of the "Search" button.

The box may say "updating indexes" (or similar) above it whilst it updates.

---------

There's no point in my changing the text/font/colour in the tutorial, because once you have Peppermint installed and connected to the interweb.. you can copy/paste the commands from the tutorial directly into the terminal from within PeppermintOS itself ;)

Or just turn up the font size in your browser.

If you have any further questions, or need help with anything related to PeppermintOS, can you join that forum .. I'm on there all the time, but only come here occasionally.

Oh, and you're more than welcome .. glad you like it :)

PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
  14. JohnG38

JohnG38

Blimey! thunderbird is now loading FOUR YEARS of old mails (which I will have to delete) - and I have six other screen names! (not sure how to load them yet)

anyway will use other forum if I have real gliches - thanks for feedback.

I understand what you say on changing the text on the tutorial, but maybe not everyone will do as you suggest (I didn't!) so ...

JohnG38, May 16, 2012
  15. JohnG38

PCNetSpec

Heh ..That's the first time I've heard that complaint ..

Argh, my computer's now doing too much work for me ;)

PCNetSpec, May 16, 2012
Ask a Question