Touchpad is messed up

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Henley420, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Henley420

Henley420

Here's what happened, any help would be amazing:

Installed windows 7 on a partition, no problems. Went back into my XP OS and opened the device manager. Thought i'd check to see if any newer driver versions had been released. Right clicked on my synaptics touchpad and had it search for driver updates. Well windows connected to the internet and installed something for a touchSCREEN instead. Now my synaptics touchpad is nowhere to be found! I reinstalled the synaptics drivers, restarted a bunch of times, and nothing. I'm very angry.

The worst part it that the touchpad works fine when i boot to Windows 7. Absolutely perfectly. What the heck happened?

Henley420, Jan 14, 2009
  2. Henley420

dman79

I had the same problem today, I had to use system restore to go back to an earlier date to fix it, I think microsoft screwed up, since even my PS/2 mouse on my desktop stopped working after today's "ps2 touchscreen" update, Installing the synaptic drivers would fail to find certain dlls, i guess someting is wrong with the synaptic drivers on Acer's download site?

dman79, Jan 14, 2009
  3. Henley420

lohtse

It's hardware update fro microsoft regarding HID drivers... Aviod at all costs... Only way to solve it is to delete ALL mousehid drivers uninstall synapitics software then reinstall from flipping scratch...... Bloody microsoft ... Took me half an hour to sort it out on my netbook then had to do same on partners and daughters netbooks too........

Question is why does it install a touchscreen device which then over writes and disables the touchpad.... There's no touch screen on my netbook but it detected one and installed it........

becareful folks....

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Henley420

Henley420

found this fix on another forum. If you restart and install the synaptics 11 driver after this, everything should work fine.

I found a solution. So far this has worked for me.

STEPS:
    1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
    C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
    Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
    "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
    problem should be fixed.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
    If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
    find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second reboot
    will show that your mouse is not working again.

By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
    apparently.

Henley420, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question