Touchpad not working

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SLB, Nov 15, 2008.

1. SLB

SLB

Hey! I generally use a USB plug-in mouse and i've now just noticed that the touchpad isn't working any more. Can anyone suggest how i can get it up and running again please?

SLB, Nov 15, 2008
  2. SLB

karona

Have you tried toggling Fn+F7, which turns the touchpad on and off? :)

Keith

karona, Nov 15, 2008
  3. SLB

SLB

Yes, I did, but it didn't change anything. However, for some reason, it seems to be working again now! Thanks for the reply though.

SLB, Nov 19, 2008
  4. SLB

radtek

radtek, Nov 19, 2008
  5. SLB

rbil

I'm curious about this problem as 2 friends today had the same problem. Once Network Manager connects the touchpad stops functioning. There is no hardware problem, as booting Linux on a flash key allowed it to work properly. I spent some time on one of those AAOs trying to figure out what could be causing this problem, but couldn't find a solution. Both of those computers have good backups so I know they'll get them working again easily, but I find it so strange that I was confronted in one day with this exact problem on 2 different AAOs. One has no updates applied recently and the other is plain-jane, as it comes. Both are SSD models.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 20, 2008
  6. SLB

mitchpixx

I had exactly the same problem. I enabled the right mouse menu, and then every time I switched on and moved the cursor using the touchpad, the right context menu would appear and then I could not click on anything, although the cursor still moved. :?:

When I plugged in a USB wireless mouse, hey presto, everything started working again!!

So I called Acer - really helpful guys who tried a couple of things, then said send it back - so I did!!

All they did was reinstall Linpus and return the unit to me! I switched it on - everything was great except...

I re-enabled the right mouse menu, re-installed by bluetoooth broadband dongle and the problem started again - the touchpad will only work if the external mouse is plugged in! Whilst in the office, this is not a problem, but its going to be really tricky on the train!!! :evil:

I really need the laptop for the next couple of weeks, so am loathed to call the nice (but useless) guys at Acer in case they just ask for it back again.

I don't consider myself completely techno-useless, although my AAO is my first real foray into the dark arts of linux! I have checked all the settings; the touchpad is enabled etc.

Its doing my head in... any advice and/or help will be very gratefully received!!! :p

Mitch
    -----------------
    "Men think they rule the world because us women allow them to think that!!"

mitchpixx, Nov 20, 2008
  7. SLB

Redherring

Like several people I have read about, as soon as I go my new Acer out of the box I plugged in an external mouse in the USB thinking both touchpad and mouse would work interchangeably as in Windows. The external mouse works fine - every time - but if I unplug the mouse the touchpad goes dead with a frozen cursor - altho the mouse buttons work OK. Plug the mouse back in and it all works fine again.

If I reboot - with or without the mouse still plugged in - the touchpad picks up and works for about 23 seconds (I timed it). You can enter an application and move the pointer around but then it times-out and freezes. Plug the mouse in and it all works fine.

From what I have read on this forum it doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

Ozorba suggested the following fix:

1. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and commented out the "SHMConfig" "on" line like this...

#Option "SHMConfig" "on"

2. Remove directory ~/.gsynaptics using the follwing command:

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo rm -rf ~/.gsynaptics

Hiker_jon says that he tried this ans it worked but later tried un-commenting the line and it still worked? Wierd!

I have managed to remove the directory as suggested (I have experience of Unix from many years ago so the commands are not totally foreign to me) however I could not save the file after editing with mousepad. I wonder if this is connected to user priviledges? Any thoughts?

If Ozorba's fix works OK then could someone write a script to do it so that one had the solution on an icon? I have forgotten all that Unix stuff years ago. I am sureb there is a maven here who could do it.

Rob Wheeler
    Faversham, UK

Redherring, Nov 25, 2008
  8. SLB

Cherbear14

You are wonderful! A star! I have been trying to sort this out all afternoon. Finally after reading what you said it is working again. Thanks soooooo much! Cheryl

Cherbear14, Aug 11, 2012
  9. SLB

frank75riz

Same problem. The touchpad is enabled, and not working. Fn+f7 indicates it's on, but it still is not working. It stopped working after I installed Ununtu.. The external mouse works great, but there are times when the touchpad is needed......ACER...Help

frank75riz, Oct 24, 2012
Ask a Question