Touchpad problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by breaklegstartfire, Nov 1, 2008.

1. breaklegstartfire

breaklegstartfire

Hi all, problem with a new A150, linux os - the trackpad is totally unresponsive. I've checked it's switched on, (Fn-F7), tried to access trackpad via settings ->touchpad, but I get a window saying:

"GSynaptics could not initialise
    You have to set SHMConfig 'true' in xorg.config or XF86config to use GSynaptics"

I searched for xorg.config and SHMConfig is set to 'on'. It won't let me make any changes to this file. I can't find a XF86Config file at all.

We made a recovery USB drive and started again, but exact same problem - is this hardware? I don't want to take it back - they gave us the 120Gb version when we paid for the 8Gb :lol:

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

breaklegstartfire, Nov 1, 2008
  2. breaklegstartfire

rbil

If you need to edit xorg.conf, do this ...

sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You'll need to restart the computer for any changes to take effect.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 1, 2008
  3. breaklegstartfire

breaklegstartfire

OK, after about 9 hours of work, I've given up and am taking it back. There is no edit I can make to xorg.conf that doesn't either do nothing or require a recovery from USB drive. (Yes, I am restarting after edits). I don't believe I should have to put this much effort into getting a basic input device working out of the box, so something is either broken or seriously wrong. I'm taking it back and if they have another I'll try it instore, if the same issue I'll unfortunately be looking at an Advent 4212. (Unless they have an A150 with XP, Hmm)

Pity, because my wife loves the machine and thinks it's perfect otherwise.

breaklegstartfire, Nov 2, 2008
  4. breaklegstartfire

kitikri

Hey,

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I've got the same problem with the touchpad. Definitely not due to software errors. If somebody has a solution, could you please post it. Otherwise I'd have no choice but to take it back to the shop. Thanks :)

kitikri, Nov 11, 2008
  5. breaklegstartfire

Redherring

Minutes after posting my question on the other thread on this topic I phoned Acer support and they asked me if I had performed a Live Update - which of course I had not. Only getting the machine yesterday I assumed that I had the most up to date O/S and patches loaded. However, I noticed that when the package downloaded I that ther was apatch for the touchpad (# 180022) which, as it turned out, solved the problem for me.

So run a Live Update and all will be well!

Rob Wheeler

Redherring, Nov 25, 2008
Ask a Question