touchpad problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by radtek, Nov 10, 2008.

1. radtek

radtek

I run Linpus...

The touch pad works until I begin to search for a wireless network. Then it [cursor] freezes. I have to plug in a usb wireless mouse to utilize the cursor.

This is a strange problem... Help?

radtek, Nov 10, 2008
  2. radtek

radtek

[bump]

C-mon guys... No ideas... At all?

radtek, Nov 13, 2008
  3. radtek

pienjo

Try running qsynaptics, and check whether it hasn't been disabled for some stupdi reason, as has happened to me. There should be a radiobutton on the first page.

pienjo, Nov 13, 2008
  4. radtek

rob2006

This happened to me once when running linpus and i have just changed to Vista yesterday and it happened again just now.

Did you find a solution.?

I downloaded the driver from the Acer site previous to the freeze on Vista but its obviously made no difference.

rob2006, Nov 13, 2008
  5. radtek

radtek

As of yet I have not found a solution to the problem. I tried gsynaptics. Nothing.

radtek, Nov 13, 2008
  6. radtek

rbil

When I read your original message, it crossed my mind that it might be a hardware problem. Possibly a power problem where power going to the wireless is cutting off the touchpad. Then the other poster came along and said he had the same experience with Vista. The fact they are so different, software-wise, does seem to suggest it is indeed a hardware problem.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 14, 2008
  7. radtek

radtek

Well, in frustration I made a recovery usb-drive and did a fresh install of Linpus. Easy as pi.

I wasn't surprised to see everything working properly again- even when searching and connected wirelessly. I think one of the updates broke it initially. I doubted that it was a hardware problem with the wifi card stealing power. If that was the case RMA would have been an immediate choice.

Thanks folks. I'll do the updates and if it breaks the touch pad again I'll post back in with the info.

radtek, Nov 15, 2008
  8. radtek

Guest Guest

Yes it is one of the updates... I have been having a problem with the touchpad after the update and here is what I did to get it back:
    1. edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Found
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    and commented it outlike this:
    #Option "SHMConfig" "on"

2. removed the directory ~/.gsynaptics using the follwing command:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo rm -rf ~/.gsynaptics

Guest, Nov 21, 2008
  9. radtek

hiker_jon

Hi,

I had the same problem and followed ozorba's advice. My touchpad then worked fine, but the touchpad preferences in settings stopped working.

I wanted to investigate this further so next I changed the xorg.conf file back to the original: Option "SHMConfig" "on".

The touchpad still works fine! and I can use the touchpad preferences in settings.

Very strange.

Maybe commenting and then uncommenting the Option "SHMConfig" "on" caused the synoptics driver to re-initialize.

Jon

hiker_jon, Nov 24, 2008
Ask a Question