Tracing a Computer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by samguyjones, May 4, 2009.

1. samguyjones

samguyjones

I'd like to set up a program that dumps a bunch of network information at regular intervals. Basically, I'd like to trace the computer if it gets stolen (and the thief turns it on around a wireless network and the thief connects and a few other unlikely-but-not-impossible things happen).

I've got a program that drops a shot from the internal camera in a dropbox folder, and dropbox syncs that when it gets connected to a network. I'd like to also get an idea of what network the netbook is on with a traceroute (but all traceroute attempts I've run have just been rows of asterisks) or iwlist (also hasn't work on the AAO).

Does anyone have any advice?

samguyjones, May 4, 2009
  2. samguyjones

mindhack

Setup sshD so you can have remote access, anad maybe put something like an eggdrop on cron so you can know whenever it comes online/offline.

mindhack, May 4, 2009
  3. samguyjones

samguyjones

That's good advice. Dropbox will do something a lot like eggdrop in that all dropbox computers get a message saying, "Click.jpg has been updated" every minute while my laptop is on.

Here's my question another way. Someone grabbed my netbook. I'm at my desktop. I get a notification that my netbook is networked. I ssh into it. How do I use my access to find out where my netbook is physically? I don't have a 3G modem, so the browser Geolocation only tells me what city it's in.

samguyjones, May 4, 2009
  4. samguyjones

mute_

You'll only get general geo location based upon the IP that is assigned and sometimes that is sketchy at best.

I do like the webcam image grab idea though. When the laptop is stolen, the theif connectes to a network, a few jpgs are taken from the webcam and then forwarded to you through email along with the current IP and wlan information. You could also then get it to start some hard drive killing application to render the stolen data useless to the theif.

The only thing is, how to detect that your laptop is being used by you and not a theif? It would be annoying if jpgs were taken etc every time you connected to a network.

Cool idea though! Keep us posted on your progress

mute_, May 4, 2009
  5. samguyjones

Guest Guest

I would think incorporating a gps module in laptops/netbooks or building a gps chip in the mother board would be pretty in expensive and feasible these days, then a program would be able to send back lat/longitude :) Hopefully they will do that someday and I suppose a mod is feasiblle as well, I would think you could find a usb or serial module for less then $50.

Guest, May 4, 2009
  6. samguyjones

mindhack

If you ssh into it, you could install a keylogger and more than likely catch the person logging into their personal email. Once there, take the evidence to the police. Or hell, look the person's address up online and go outside the person's place, call and tell them you want your damn netbook back now before you call the police.

mindhack, May 4, 2009
  7. samguyjones

enkidu

I'd expect anyone who stole my Acer couldn't use it without wiping the HD anyway. He'd need to log on, and he wouldn't be likely to know my login name, much less my password. And it's damned sure he isn't good enough with Linux to find a way past that. Anyone who could do that isn't stealing $300 netbooks for a living.

enkidu, May 6, 2009
  8. samguyjones

mindhack

For one not everyone's setup requires a login

For two, you would be surprised at who acquires lost (stolen) hardware.

mindhack, May 6, 2009
  9. samguyjones

mordeith

ive had a few ...warm laptops in my shop...i record all the info i can...and let the police know..whether it be a laptop or desktop ...dont happen often but it does happen...the i forgot my login info or my password...etc

mordeith, May 6, 2009
  10. samguyjones

mindhack

Laser etching + /home encryption = best option imo.

The Laser etching of "Property of John Doe, if found please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" on the back of the LCD would deter purchase of a stolen notebook.

The encryption would stop most data theft.

mindhack, May 6, 2009
  11. samguyjones

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo, May 6, 2009
  12. samguyjones

mindhack

If there is interest, I might pick up a laser engraver and start offering etching. Probably run $25 + return shipping. Let me know if anyone would be interested.

The engravers run $1500-7500 depending on quality, so if there is no interest, I won't bother picking one up.

Have a name/number engraved in a few places would make selling a stolen netbook fairly hard. "Property of Justin Case, if found please call 206-555-5555.". Place that on the back of the LCD, on the bottom and next to the touchpad would be nice IMO.

mindhack, May 6, 2009
  13. samguyjones

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo, May 8, 2009
Ask a Question