Transfer to Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by flamingswrd, Aug 31, 2008.

1. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

I have been a windows user for as long as I can remember and know enough to get myself around. Since I am going to college and am in need of a computer that doesn't go as slow as the ones there (is it just me or do all college machines run extremely slow?). I was looking into the One and a linux operating system. So here's my dilemma: How easy is it to switch over? I know nothing of command lines, if that helps.

flamingswrd, Aug 31, 2008
  2. flamingswrd

acron1

Let me start by saying that I am a big Linux advocate as my main laptop a Lenovo R61 is running openSUSE 11 (single boot) and I am running Fedora 9 and Ubuntu Gutsy on my 2 desktops. When I got my AA1 I fully intended to go the Linux route probably Fedora (since the Linpus version is based on Fedora 8) but after using it with the preinstalled WinXP for a week now (got all the bloatware off, replaced McAfee with Blink Personal) I must admit that it's very well suited for the AA1 and I will leave it alone. So my advice if you get the One is stay with XP.
    PS If you plan on using the One as your only PC in college I thing you will get tired of it's small size as I would suspect it's torture writing a turn paper on it.

acron1, Aug 31, 2008
  3. flamingswrd

two_wheels

I'm a long time windows user and I have the Aspire One with Linux and I really like it. I think the biggest barrier would be if there are "Windows only" programs that you need to run. If you need to use office software, check e-mail, get on the web, then Linux and the Aspire One are great, actually better (I think) than Windows because it boots up faster and runs quickly. But I also do software development so I need to run stuff like Visual Studio, which is a Windows program and won't run on Linux. But I have another PC for that. So if you have an idea of any other software you might need to install, that would help you make your decision. Don't worry about not knowing command line stuff, etc..

two_wheels, Sep 1, 2008
  4. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Thanks for the input. I have a few other things on my mind as well...

This netbook wouldn't be my only computer. I currently have a windows setup at home on a Alienware laptop which is my main computer (yes, I know a box will run better and such; I respect that fact, but thats another battle) and I do all my productivity on there. I was thinking of getting the One since I'd only really be doing minor things (web surfing between, small papers, research, etc.) and it has the possibility to introduce me to something less evil than MS.

The last thing on my mind is the advanced mode. Having never used Linux before (or even seen it used before) I don't know what this entails. What's the advantage and what does it let you play with? It would be appreciated if you could reference to Windows if you mention something (ie: this is akin to this on windows).

flamingswrd, Sep 1, 2008
  5. flamingswrd

two_wheels

Out of the box the Aspire One has this desktop with a few giant icons and that is it - there's really no way to add your own software, or even bring up something like the "Start" menu in Windows. So if you do the advanced mode, then you can right click on the desktop and bring up a menu similar to what you'd get with the Start menu in Windows. And one of those menus gives you an Add/Remove Software, etc.. If you are a power user at all you are probably going to want that.

For me the default desktop was just driving me crazy and I wanted something similar to a Windows desktop, so I ran this script:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1256

And I like it a lot.... here is what the desktop looks like by default (well, this one has had a few customizations, but I did not have a picture of the default desktop handy)

[​IMG]

And here is my desktop now:

[​IMG]

two_wheels, Sep 1, 2008
  6. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Since I was thinking of getting Linux anyway, I had already planned to "unlock" it as soon as I got it. I figured I would want some tweak-ability to it. Thanks for your suggestion. I like the look of yours, but the process seems a little too technical for me and I'd probably screw it up...

Anyway, something I forgot to mention, but the only real programs I would need to add would be Pidgin (I like this IM client much better than AIM and use it currently), a Logitech Driver (I'll care a mouse over a touchpad anyday), PowerISO (or a similar program) and uTorrent (or similar program). I have used openOffice before, so it isn't a problem; email is not a concern either since I use gmail.

Anyone out there that has recently switched over and found something they really like?

flamingswrd, Sep 1, 2008
  7. flamingswrd

ryder f kellan

Actually, it's not that technical. I'm new to Linux too and (thanks to this forum) figured out the advanced mode business very quickly. I've never done any programming except for a couple of hair-raising weeks trying to run MS DOS commands in a publishing company in 1999-2000. I'd say go for it - it's extremely refreshing to get away from Microsoft. The only problem I have is running a file synchronisation program, but it sounds as though you may not need that.

ryder f kellan, Sep 2, 2008
  8. flamingswrd

Achilles

I am also a long time Windows user and had installed XP on my One before it died. I did have a play with the Linux as supplied and liked the applications but disliked the lack of customisation and the Fisher Price feel to the main window. I looked at the Linpus distro and didn't see a whole lot in the way of support. Therefore I have been looking at alternative Linux distributions that provide a bit more of what I am after in terms of look and feel. The last couple of weeks I have been running Ubuntu on my desktop computers to see whether this may be a good way to go. I have to say it seems to be very nice as it is reasonably easy to get the hang of and documentation and support for Ubuntu is excellent. Therefore I may go that way for the One. My main concern is how to run some of my Windows applications. I have had a go at Wine but have found that although this will work for a few games there are probably too many incompatibilites for it to work successfully with a lot of applications.

I am wondering whether Sun's VisualBox might me the way to go for less intensive applications as then I don't need to dual boot and the compatibility should be excellent but I haven't had a chance to try this on the One. Of course the downside is having to store a second operating system (with its own virtual drive) and VB it won't be an option with less than 1GB memory. Also performance will take a hit as the processor has to share its time between two operating systems.

As an example I got a Garmin GPS system about a year ago and wanted to hook this up so I can load in routes etc when I am away on holiday. However the supplied Garmin software is Windows only but it doesn't have fancy graphics and runs fine on my 7 year old desktop (800MHz P3) so I would hope that it will work perfectly in Virtual machine in the One.

For office applications I am happy with Open Office. I don't do anything too fancy and I have long thought that MS Office has far too many features I never use.

Achilles, Sep 2, 2008
  9. flamingswrd

ryder f kellan

On the fisher price look of the desktop, I gather you can also customise this once you've done the Advanced mode hack.

ryder f kellan, Sep 2, 2008
  10. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

When it is unlocked, are you able to change from the standard Linpus desktop to something more Ubuntu or Windows like?

flamingswrd, Sep 3, 2008
  11. flamingswrd

3earnhardt3

You will fall in love with linux, as it always gives you something to do when your bored. There are an infinite number of things to customize to your needs. Just use the desktop-switch from the howto section and you have a very xubuntu-like desktop. The only downside is the fedora repository instead of the debian like ubuntu. Though most applications will come in both flavors (or manual install). You can't beat the boot up time of linpus (which is why I just recently switched back from ubuntu), and the battery life/wifi strength are much better in linpus. The best part about linux, where else are there so many people eager to help you with any problem or question you have about your computer. I like the fact that I no longer have to wait on hold for 30 minutes to figure out why ______ doesn't work.

3earnhardt3, Sep 3, 2008
  12. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Does the desktop switch change anything major? If I remember correctly I read that forum and it changes some system stuff. I have a small tendency to screw things up...as I said before I only know enough about computers to effectively manage myself, and prevent most malicious things.

flamingswrd, Sep 3, 2008
Ask a Question