'Travel' mode for media

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WpgCameraMan, Nov 2, 2008.

1. WpgCameraMan

WpgCameraMan

I'm looking for a distro that has VLC and that would be about it, so I can use the One while I'm flying (well, I have a pilot for that, I sit in the back and drink).

Thinking I want to watch movies or something during the flight (about 2 to 2.5 hours). Would be swell if I had some battery life once I land, might need to use the PC in XP mode for a bit before I can get to the hotel for charging.

So, in short, my 1gb/160gb XP One is normally used in XP mode, but for video watching, I want to be using Linux, not even spinning up the HDD, everything comes off a USB stick, or better yet, the OS is on an SD card, movies are on USB.

Is this possible ?

BTW: I love this thing. Was able to show my buddy my new garage, just carried the One to the back yard, he's watching the webcam, just fantastic.

WpgCameraMan, Nov 2, 2008
  2. WpgCameraMan

Grim Squeaker

Hmm. Since you only want the linux distro to play movies, support for the trickier hardware like the wireless is not needed. You could try to customise "damn small linux" or use puppy linux- both quite small distros, which would leave lots of room on the usb stick for movies.

Of course, you would still need a 6 cell battery.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 2, 2008
  3. WpgCameraMan

Andysan

Booting OS form the SD card is difficult, you may consider booting the OS from a pendrive and watching your films from the SD card.

Ubuntu Intrepid seems to boot quickest as standard from USB AFAIK, you could install VLC in that, but would need to do this each time unless the install is persistent.

Andysan, Nov 2, 2008
  4. WpgCameraMan

dack001

Just install Linpus on a stick, you should get the most batterylife with this and full hardwaresupport.

dack001, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question