Travelling with Acer - Beginner Issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by darylt, Feb 6, 2009.

1. darylt

darylt

I have been traveling round Thailand with my new Acer Aspire One and it has been doing the basics rather neatly, surfing the web and storing word files but I am having serious problems now when for the first time I have tried to connect my maxtor personal storage 3200 500gb external hard drive. The acer seems to recognize it but it 'fails to mount'. I have been reading around the forums and learned this hard drive may have compatibility issues with Linux. I am completely new to Linux and not sure how to operate the work arounds i have found on this forum ie working the terminal. I have a root password but im not sure how to access software downloads, which brings me to my next problem itunes!!!

Please can someone help, im desperate to access my music and movies!!!!!

darylt, Feb 6, 2009
  2. darylt

woodland

3. darylt

darylt

i truly appreciate your response but i can't get anything to respond on the terminal with that link, its very frustrating , ive just downloaded a uk proxy link to work from thailand and it tells you to go to tools - options on firefox but there aint no options under tools on this bloomin aspire one, i despair, i think its time to chuck this in the bin and pay the money for a windows compatible laptop, i give up!!!!!!!!!

darylt, Feb 7, 2009
  4. darylt

woodland

Don't give up and don't waste your money

The linux version of Firefox is just a tiny little bit different from the windows version..
    what you're looking for can be found in the menu bar under Edit, Preferences, you take it from there..

this might help you out too
    viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10723

If you are really fed up with linpus i can advice you to take a look at Linux4One: http://www.linux4one.it
    It works perfectly for me and many others an other possibility is EasyPeasy: http://geteasypeasy.com/ must admit that i wasn't very successful with it and Linux4One worked out of the box for me.

I struggled with linpus for a few weeks but i'm very happy now with L41 ;)

woodland, Feb 7, 2009
  5. darylt

libssd

It's my understanding that Acer has customized a few parts of their Linux to support hardware features such as disk space expansion with a SD card in the left slot, Home key going to the main menu, and automounting of USB flash drives. Do these features still work with your Linux4One installation? Is Linux4One noticeably faster or slower than Linpus?

I've got all my basic software installed and working stably, so I don't really have any issues with Acer's Linpus at this point.

libssd, Feb 7, 2009
  6. darylt

darylt

Thanks for all your kind responses but im still struggling badly with this system. When i download software it goes to xarchiver, i see the software but i cant run it, and ive tried extracting etc

darylt, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question