Triple boot - Xp+Ubuntu+ Moblin.......(possible)?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by morningching, Sep 30, 2009.

1. morningching

morningching

Dual boot is more than enough for my daily work but I just want to have triple boot experience. I am using dual boot acer aspire one hard drive, 160 Gb. Since last week I did numbers of installation and delete of moblin v2. Success is still very far. My setting:
    XP -installed first.
    Ubuntu 9.04-installed second
    Moblin v2- installed 3rd.

Xp+ubuntu is successful. When moblin is added, ubuntu cannot boot. I use super grub to boot ubuntu again. Now ubuntu work, but moblin cannot boot. I tried to install bootloader grub in xp partition. I also tried to install bootloader grub in separate moblin partition.However, Ubuntu and Moblin never stay together.
    Xp+ Ubuntu-------no problem.
    Xp+moblin---------no problem.

Why Ubuntu and moblin cannot stay together? What's wrong in my installation? Please, any suggestion!

morningching, Sep 30, 2009
  2. morningching

RockDoctor

Boot into moblin and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to add an entry for Ubuntu. You'll need to know which partition contains the Ubuntu installation - put that number in for x in the code below, and replace y by the value of x-1:
    Code:
    title Ubuntu 9.04
      root (hd0,y)
      kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sdax
      initrd /initrd.img

Happy triple-booting.

RockDoctor, Sep 30, 2009
  3. morningching

morningching

Hello Rock Doctor,
    Thank you for your reply. Let me know 2 more thing.
    1. Where should I install moblin bootloader? in xp partition or in moblin partition?
    2. What command do you use in moblin to open grub configuration?
    ' sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst' command doen't open grub configuration.
    I use Moblin v2. If I know the answer of these 2 things, I guess I will be successful applying your suggestion.

morningching, Oct 2, 2009
  4. morningching

RockDoctor

>ot sure if Moblin follows Fedora and uses grub.conf instead of menu.lst, so that's one possibility. Another possibility is that you're actually using the Ubuntu boot loader, in which case you'd need to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the Ubuntu partition. Personally, I set up a separate boot partition when I installed my first Linux distro, and always update it manually, never installing a bootloader when I install a new distro. More work, but at least I know I'll be able to boot something.

RockDoctor, Oct 3, 2009
  5. morningching

Frankiedog

moblin uses menu.lst

I have Win7, ubuntu, osx, and moblin on mine. I use grub on hd0 for everything and let moblin install grub to its own partition hd0,3.

Frankiedog, Oct 18, 2009
Ask a Question