Trouble deleting a partition - help please!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by armitage shanks, Jan 6, 2010.

1. armitage shanks

armitage shanks

Hello, my AOA 110 decided not to boot up today. I have tried to recover, reinstall Ubuntu NBR and Kuki but to no avail. I am unable to delete or re format the partition. Also tried with Gparted but this fails part way through. Anyone have any ideas? I can boot to Kuki from live USB but can't install that way either.

armitage shanks, Jan 6, 2010
  2. armitage shanks

RockDoctor

To delete any existing partiions on the SSD, you can try the following. Note - back up any data you want to keep before doing this. Once you delete a partition, data recovery is likely to be impossible.
    1. Boot a live distro off a USB thumb drive
    2. Open a terminal window
    3. sudo fdisk /dev/sda
    4. p (to print the current partition table)
    5. d 1 (delete the first partition)
    6. If there was more than one partition on /dev/sda, then repeat step 5
    until all partitions are deleted.
    You're now ready to create a new partition (or several, if that's your thing). You should be able to do this with fdisk, parted, gparted, or the partitioner associated with your live distro.

HTH

RockDoctor, Jan 11, 2010
  3. armitage shanks

armitage shanks

Many thanks - as it turned out the SSD was dead. Have now replaced with a 32 gig one from super talent - much quicker and more memory so not too bad overall.

armitage shanks, Jan 16, 2010
Ask a Question