Trouble installing Matlab -- no disk space?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smolloy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. smolloy

smolloy

Hi folks,
    Just got my new AA1 last night -- 1G RAM, 16G SDD, Linux.

I'm trying to install Matlab on it, as I've seen that others have had success with this, but I've run into a weird problem. When I run the install script from an xterm, it gives the following warning
    Code:
    ls: write error: No space left on device
    /home/user/matlab_temp/update/install/ftpfiles.sh: line 57: echo: write error: No space left on device
    After this, it starts up the installation GUI, seemingly without a problem. So I click through the GUI, and then hit the "Install" button right at the end. It sits there for ~5 seconds, and then gives an error,
    So I checked the obvious thing first,
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1              14G  3.1G   11G  23% /
    none                  501M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm
    none                   14G  3.1G   11G  23% /mnt/home
    So that's not the problem.

I'm a pretty experienced Linux user, but this is my first time with an AA1. Can anyone tell me why Matlab can't see the 11 G of free space I have available?

Thanks for your help.

smolloy, Dec 4, 2008
  2. smolloy

smolloy

Hi again,
    The problem disappeared!

I downloaded the matlab installation files to my home directory, and unpacked and installed from there. This time it worked (almost) flawlessly (wrestling with java problems :| ).

My question is now -- is there something weird about the /tmp directory in AA1s? It doesn't seem to be mounted any differently, yet it behaved entirely differently when I tried to install from there.

smolloy, Dec 5, 2008
  3. smolloy

rbil

Yes, /tmp is mounted to a ramdisk of limited size. This was done to prevent excess writes to the SSD drive.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question