trouble reinstalling skype

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jillb53, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jillb53

jillb53

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help as I have come totally unstuck trying to reinstall skype after having to perform a system recovery

I should say I'm a total novice - this will become clear - so I need pretty simple instructions! Patience and understanding would be appreciated!
    I tried following the instructions on the acer support website for installing skype: http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... t.html#002
    skype.sh.zip came up in Xarchiver but i wasn't able to decompress it. I gave up when I couldn't find help through google searches and when I tried again today I downloaded the file again and got this error message when I tried to open it using Xarchiver:

[/mnt/home/Downloads/skype.sh.zip]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /mnt/home/Downloads/skype.sh.zip or
    /mnt/home/Downloads/skype.sh.zip.zip, and cannot find /mnt/home/Downloads/skype.sh.zip.ZIP, period.

Can anyone help? I don't have enough knowledge to be able to intuit my way out of the problem - I've pretty much hit a brick wall!

jillb53, Dec 11, 2008
  2. jillb53

rbil

Possibly because you have more than one skype.sh.zip file downloaded to this directory, zip is confused. Here's what I'd do. Open a terminal - ALT-F2, type in terminal and click run. In the terminal do:

Code:
    cd /mnt/home/Downloads
    Then delete all instances of skype* zip files in that directory:

Code:
    rm skype*
    Then download the zip file from Acer again:

Code:
    wget [url]ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_one_110/linux/application/skype.sh.zip[/url]
    After it downloads, unzip the file:

Code:
    unzip skype.sh.zip
    This will extract the script file: skype.sh, so now run the script:

Code:
    ./skype.sh
    Cheers.

rbil, Dec 11, 2008
  3. jillb53

jillb53

Thank you so much! Your suggestion worked 1st time after 8 hours of failed attempts and a lot of frustration!

I really appreciate it (i'm 5000 miles from home and haven't had contact for three weeks!)

Thanks again

jillb53, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question