Trouble triple booting? Try this.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by imcrazy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. imcrazy

dj_steve

also noted in the howto (the part involving chrooting to linpus partition)_

dj_steve, Feb 2, 2009
  2. imcrazy

blueboyracer

I just can't believe this, but I managed to install OSX iATKOS 5i to my already dual booting Linpus/XP machine.

However, now that OSX is on there I cannot boot into Linpus anymore.

Darwin, does offer me the option of booting into all three but only XP and OSX work.

Can someone please help...

Thanks
    Richard

blueboyracer, Feb 4, 2009
  3. imcrazy

dj_steve

i hads that idssue, itsbecause osx has nuked grub lol. reinstall grub and use it toboot darwin

dj_steve, Feb 4, 2009
  4. imcrazy

blueboyracer

Nice dj_steve

That worked a treat, thank you...

However, I now have another problem.

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Now Linpus will not recognise the new BROADCOM card, as OSX would not recognise the Atheros one...

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

blueboyracer, Feb 11, 2009
  5. imcrazy

vickster

Just got my Aspire One w/ 1gb RAM, 160gb HD, WinXP Home Edition pre-installed. I've spent most of my professional life in MacOS, but played around in Windows [know very little about Linux, but am looking to learn more]. I've been intrigued with creating a triple-boot monster [XP-Ubuntu-OS X (iATKOS 5i)], but have a noob question:

As I was building partitions I noticed the PQService hidden partition. Add to that my NTFS partition for XP, a Linux swap disk, ext3 partition for Ubuntu 8.10, then an HFS+ partition for the OS X [iATKOS 5i] install. Haven't I surpassed the number of partitions I can put on the drive? And what the heck is the PQService partition anyway? Like I said, I apologize if this is a dumb question, but hey, gotta start somewhere...

The Aspire One's a great little netbook. Already it has paid dividends at work as I was able to hop on an unsecured wireless network last week on the road to order my Springsteen tix the minute they went on sale! Whoot!!

vickster, Feb 12, 2009
  6. imcrazy

andy_wismer

Hi

Here are the basics valid for any Intel compatible system (Hardware, not OS), including AMD, VIA and others:

- Drive can contain maximum four primary partitions.
    - One of those partitions can contain an extended partition, containing more partitions (15?)
    - Some older BIOS can only boot of the first 8GB of the first drive. This must contain the entire partition. Also THE reason for the small /boot partition seen on a lot of linux distros.
    - Some - mostly older - BIOS will only recognize 132 GB as "bootable" drives.

These are all "Hardware Platform" constraints. Your OS can impose other, further limits, eg. Windows 98 can only boot of a first primary partition.

The PQService (Power Quest, taken over by Symantec a few years ago...) is the Acer recovery partition, something similiar to the Compaq Partitions seen on Compaq / HP boxes. Acer uses this hidden partition to store the easy recovery. PQs Drive Image, or an OEM Version thereof just reloads a factory image back when you choose this option in the BIOS. If you don't ever want your box to revert back to factory (I don't ever want XP Home...), you can safely delete this partition. The function in the BIOS won't work, but then, I never intend to use it. Ever! I prefer having the few extra GB, besides I don't want to waste a precios partition on my trible boot Micro-Monster.

I'm running the following:
    - OpenSuSE 11 (Primary OS)
    - Windows XP (Secondary OS)
    - Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Secondary OS)
    on a Acer Aspire One A150X with 1024 GB RAM, 160 GB HD.
    I'm waiting for eBay for my Dell cards, and when the pandoras box get's opened, there's 1.5 GB RAM and internal Bluetooth to think about.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 gets about 5-6 hours on the 6 battery version, YMMV...

OpenSuSE's NTFS-3G works great, allowing me to use an NTFS partition for my Data.

Here's my Disk layout, set up first with Grub using OpenSuSE.
    Windows came in second, with MacOS last.

/dev/sda1 /boot
    /dev/sda2 Windows XP
    /dev/sda3 Mac OS X
    /dev/sda4 Extended
    /dev/sda5 Linux /
    /dev/sda6 Linux Swap
    /dev/sda7 NTFS Data

Boot.ini on the Windows partition has a "fallback" Boot-Menu, capable of booting Linux, or Windows. Just in case I hit Windows, when I actually intended MacOSX or Linux. Choosing Linux goes back to Grub, giving me a second choice of all three OS.

I can't yet give any feedback on the stability of the NTFS-3G driver for MacOSX yet.

The Acer is a GREAT Netbook, I already have three... (cracked one's screen by being CLUMSY...;-()
    2 160GBs and one with a 8 GB SSD.

MacOSX works on the SSD version, but updating can become a real headache and fiddling about bytes. Yes, Bytes not KB, MB or GB - and I mean Disk space, not RAM! And it's slow...

I have customised the Acer to use same / similiar icons in all three environments. Mostly based on the 10.4.x icons in OSX.
    OpenSuSE runs KDE, but that's just my preference under Linux.

Just my 2 cts on partitions, and a bit of background info and static to acompany it...

Regards

Andy Wismer
    From snowy Switzerland

andy_wismer, Feb 12, 2009
  7. imcrazy

zulifar

hi there.
    here what i did after many times failed.
    -. clean blank harddrive from acer one AOA 150 ZG5
    -. clean install from windows xp with one partition. mine with windows xp usb flashdrive 1 gb bootable. how ?, you can find here or on youtube.
    -. install partition magic on windows xp, create new partition to 3 or 4 partitions, remember, all partitions must be "PRIMARY" not extended nor Logical. save partition to NTFS for windows 7 and Linux, and save the other partition to FAT32 for OS X.
    -. install windows 7 on partition 2 from windows xp. mine install from harddrive thath i downloaded before.
    -. now i got dual boot. windows xp (previous windows) and windows 7.
    -. install Linux ubuntu 9.04 on partition 3 from windows 7.
    -. now i got tripleboot.
    ok.
    i got OS X 10.5.5 (iatkos V5) installed on flashdrive 2gb bootable. how ?, you can find here on on youtube.
    -. plug in your OS X flashdrive, and turn on your acer one.
    -. install.
    now OS X will take over all windows boot.
    you got quadboot on your acer one.

oh , i forgot, after you installed OS X from the first boot , plug out OSX flashdrive . and hit enter before countdown end.
    and tipe cpus=1 on prompt otherwise it will looping around.
    good luck

zulifar, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question