Trouble with FreeDos 1.0 while trying to update bios

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ruckus, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ruckus

ruckus

Hey everyone, I am having trouble with FreeDos when I boot my USB thumb drive. I get the FreeDos menu every time no problem, and am able to select a launch option. However, each option I select seems to hang the machine. Sometimes I see text pop up stating no cd-rom drive could be found, and sometimes the screen just goes black. In either case, it seems to just sit there with no prompt.

Has anyone else seen this problem or know how to fix it? Any tips would be appreciated. THanks!

ruckus, Nov 7, 2008
  2. ruckus

ruckus

Just an update, I have this booting to a prompt now and wanted to put details here in case someone else needs them.

The solution was 1 of two things. I am using a different USB drive now, the old one was an "attache" and had an irremovable partition on it for tools that came with the drive. I don't think this was causing the problem, but it did change.

I also formatted the drive to fat16 instead of fat32. I believe this is what fixed it.

ruckus, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question