Trouble with Ubuntu functionality

Discussion in 'Linux' started by charmles, Jul 25, 2008.

1. charmles

charmles

Ok, finally got my Aspire One working as intended (replaced my N810 with this).

But there are some problems

1. Battery ending does nothing for the OS and leads to filesystem failure
    - I think it should be possible to do a battery life 3% -> shutdown OS functionality ?
    (at least the power management says "on battery power", "when battery is critically low" -> "shutdown")

2. Suspend startup fails and leaves OS hanging
    - dunno if its the SD card mounted for /tmp or something else but you can see that the usb devices are detected again but then it just freezes and does nothing
    - should this work with normal installation ?

3. Automatic checkdisk with SD card mounted fails to readonly filesystem
    - everytime if the OS is not correctly shutdown and the OS does checkdisk for all the drives this fails for the SD card for an error that the filesystem (SD card mountpoint) is readonly
    - is this a feature that is it not yet available by that time ?

4. PPP with bluetooth (phone) must be started manually from shell
    - found a guide and got it working (external USB adapter for bluetooth (costs 9.90EUR) as aspire one does not have internal adapter)
    - but I have to start it from shell typing pon <profile> (on the otherhand this will be a good thing that you cannot enable it without knowing)

On other notice yeah the mousepad is really bad but the keyboard is a lot more better than though (or perhaps after using N810 keyboard for 6months this just feels better).

Btw. You can do a lot more tweaking for the ubuntu it has many unwanted features running if you are not used for linux distributions example
    - disable the virtual desktop
    - hide lower and upper status bars
    - disable unwanted services (you can always start them manually by example sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start)
    - remove firefox toolbars (CTRL+L opens the box where you can type the address)
    - enable automatic login

Personally I haven't used Ubuntu that match, only tryed it few times, mostly being using SUSE but the opensuse 11 with KDE4 did not really work that well (and the wifi is not working there either).

charmles, Jul 25, 2008
  2. charmles

charmles

Had to reinstall whole Ubuntu as it got so corrupted with tweaking the power saving options.
    After reinstalling I changed the SD card to mount as /home but got the same problem (X11 does not start saying KDE cannot create lock file)

I think there is a problem with the Linux itself. Found several post on EEEPC forums that if the OS does not do clean unmount for the SD card mountpoints they will be automatically mounted as readonly from the next boot.

Also the Wifi does not work for me (cannot get DHCP connection) until I did the mad wiki guides WLAN scan once (from shell tools), after that it starts to work as normal.
    (I think that the connection manager is not working correctly with the Wifi drivers)

charmles, Jul 26, 2008
  3. charmles

charmles

charmles, Jul 26, 2008
Ask a Question