TrueCrypt entire hard drive on AA1?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jlhs1971, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jlhs1971

jlhs1971

Hi

I would like to encrypt my entire hard drive on AA1 but I have a few questions for the more experienced users:

1) what is the performance drop on the AA1 (N.B. specifically the one with Linpus; the 8GB SSD + 500MB RAM)?

2) I heard that there are occasionally errors in the encryption of the hard drive. I have h
    eard people thus recommending keeping an unencrypted backup of the hard drive. But does this not defeat the purporse of encrytping in the first place?

3) Will encrypting just the Home folder suffice instead of the entire drive?

many thanks

jlhs1971, Aug 20, 2008
  2. jlhs1971

macles

3. jlhs1971

jlhs1971

Macles -

many thanks for the reply. I would also like to thank you for your excellent blog and particularly the section on how to install TrueCrypt on the AA1. I have successfully followed your advice and managed to install it. However, I am just hesitating on encrypting the entire drive....hence my questions.

best
    julian

jlhs1971, Aug 20, 2008
  4. jlhs1971

jss42

Am I missing something here?
    I have installed TrueCrypt on Ubuntu before (and I have it on my current Ubuntu system) but I'm under the impression that it only does FDE on Windows not Linux? Is there a way to configure TrueCrypt to encrypt the system disk and give me preboot authentication?

jss42, Aug 21, 2008
  5. jlhs1971

hoki_goujons

jss - the Truecrypt page on 'Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption' only lists Windows OSs (http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=suppor ... ng-systems). Which is a pity because I hate leaving home/work with an unencrypted laptop. I don't store many documents on a laptop usually (and I only got my Aspire One this morning!), it's all my website logins that I worry about.

hoki_goujons, Aug 17, 2009
Ask a Question