trying out 9.04 UNR-USB Img some ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by atarione, Apr 18, 2009.

1. atarione

atarione

so I still have limpus installed on my 110s SSD drive I have been giving the 9.04 UNR a go with the live USB stick img

but I'm having some challenges that I need to figure out if can be resolved before I commit to changing OSs on the SSD

first off

wifi range (wifi works out the box) but the range is terrible w/ the unbuntu vs limpus would changing the drivers as mentioned elsewhere (blacklisting the acer..?? whatever driver ) fix this?

hulu while playback isn't stellar (passible w/ SD too choppy with HD) under limpus playback w/ the UNR has been basically unwatchable using the UNR USB image (is this due to running off the USB stick or is there a resolution?

and then can the wifi status light be activated with the netbook remix I read something about doing it with 9.04 but doesn't seem to work using the live image?

atarione, Apr 18, 2009
  2. atarione

mzc

hi,
    wifi seems to be fine. there are just those moments that bugs will show up, as mentioned in the 2.6.28 kernel notes. if you are planning to start with the stock ubuntu kernel, I would suggest that you must finish installing all updates first and then shut down (not reboot) - as there are ath5K calibration issues. wifi will probably not work until all the updates have been installed and a shut down or cold reboot. wifi led does not work out of the box, including sd cards. if you want to make everything work, there are people in this forum that have done extensive work on customized kernel and other tweaks.

usb drives have different performance levels depending on make and model. Running on ext2 really improves performance. Engaging in kernel customization maybe necessary, depending on your satisfaction. GMA900 is not really good for hd videos, I think this is a hardware limitation, unless anyone has another opinion. via nano/nvidia ion is probably something worth waiting for / or via chrome? :)

mzc, Apr 18, 2009
  3. atarione

atarione

ok then thanx for the reply

shoot... I was hoping for a more out of the box experience

the UNR just locked up on me had to hold the pwr buttom down to reboot

well it is looking as if I might just have to stick w/ linpus for now, hopefully eventually ubuntu will install in a more ready to go state in future.

I'm not entirely sure I want to have to mess with customer kernel..etc really right now.

atarione, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question