turning wifi off

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cinijast, May 27, 2009.

1. cinijast

cinijast

I am taking my AA0 on a 9 hour flight soon , i only have the stock battery and im trying evrything to squeze as much tux racing fun out of it as possible :D .

i have been looking around and i cant see any option to turn wifi off , i havent touched the wifi drievrs so i pressumed the switch would be useless , i tried it and it just seemed to disconnect and recconnect.

after doing this a coupla times it gave up . I can still see the list of avilable wifi networks , but i can not connect until i punched the button again . After reading on the forum , it looks like its turning the radio off , does this help at all in saving battery life.

also as a completely un related side topic , does anybody know how much power the backlight consumes ?

cinijast, May 27, 2009
  2. cinijast

dgdimick

Do a "lsmod", look at the modules that are loaded for WiFi, then do an "sudo rmmod MODULENAME". This will remove the module that controls your WiFi. I have a Dell 1390 card in mine, and just have to do "sudo rmmod b43" to shutdown my WiFi.

Denis

dgdimick, May 28, 2009
Ask a Question