Tweaks/upgrades/hacks/etc..

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Twan013, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Twan013

Twan013

So I've had my 751h since October, and its been good to me, except for the freezing problem. but its kind of slacked off a little bit. I figured I'd go ahead and do a "specs" type post and what I've done and plan to do.

AO751h-1948 (bought refurbed from woot.com)
    160GB
    1GB ram
    Tiny 7
    RAM vent uncovered (is this considered a mod or what?)
    upgraded latest BIOS and GMA drivers

PLANS :
    2GB Hynix RAM (thanks to cmeide's suggestions, we'll see if it stops the freezing completely)
    bluetooth (I may sacrifice one of my USB ports for a dongle if I can find one small enough)
    wifi-N (just because.. I don't see where I'll ever need it though)
    upgrade hard drive ( don't know if I'll ever get this far, I doubt I'll ever fill up the 160 GB that I have now..)
    Schticker, lapjack, etc. (I'd like to find a company that can make a kit for the top shell, screen bezel, and keyboard area.)

What other ideas can you guys think of?

Twan013, Dec 4, 2009
  2. Twan013

cmeide

I already put in a n-card (Intel 5300) and a larger HDD.

My project now is getting the GPS working on the 3G card.

When that is done I might look into getting a USB DVB-t card to fit inside the case.

cmeide, Dec 4, 2009
  3. Twan013

Drjones

I absolutely would NOT spend any more money on your 751.

Sell your 751 and buy a 1410 or even spring for the 1810 as the 1410 with the dual-core SU2300 processor are getting harder to find.

I have a 751 which I was reasonably happy with, but I got the chance to play with a friends' 1410 with the dual-core processor and it is lightning fast and absolutely blows the 751 out of the water. It plays 720p HD videos just fine, 1080 plays OK but not great.

Everything is much, much snappier and faster - internet, Gmail, everything. It only took like 60 seconds to install iTunes - it took about 5 minutes on my girlfriends' 2.4Ghz P4!!!!! The 1410 comes with Win7 home premium and runs great with Aero theme - my 751 pops up messages that it is running slowly & I should change to a more basic theme, which I do.

This 1410 is an amazing little machine. It also just feels nicer and even higher quality than my 751 - and I am very pleased with the build quality of my 751 - but the 1410 takes it up a notch.

I ordered a 1410 with Dual Core SU2300 from Amazon for $399 shipped last night and highly recommend you do the same.

Oh, and battery life is far superior on the 1410 vs. the 751 - my 751 never lasts longer than 2, MAYBE 2.5 hours even after a clean install of Win7 which increased battery life.

The 1410 with its 6 cell battery is much closer to 5 hours. Very nice!

Drjones, Dec 6, 2009
  4. Twan013

Twan013

thanks for the input drjones but I'm definately keeping my 751. If I buy a new system, its either going to be a 14 inch notebook or a desktop. I bought the 751 because it was super cheap ($250). and I desparately needed a replacement because my Dell was stolen from my mom. OK, not stolen, but she finally decided to get Cable internet hooked up, and I got tired of her always borrowing my laptop, so I gave it to her and bought this thing. Overall I love it. The only problem i have with this particular netbook is the freezing, which will hopefully be resolved when my Hynix module comes in. The only problem I have with netbooks in general is the small screen. my future dad-in-law has an MSI, with the tiny keyboard, and I can type on it with no problems at all. but I have to get closer to the screen just to see what I'm typing.

Sorry, I don't know where I'm going with this. Its late at night and I tend to blab about useless stuff..

OH YEAH, forget upgrades. Im getting the RAM just to see if it will stop the freezing, and then my money is going for a bigger laptop or most likely, a desktop for my new house (when that day comes)

Twan013, Dec 7, 2009
  5. Twan013

Eosblue

Hey Twan013...
    I too am keeping my 751 BECAUSE I bought it for travel and for that purpose, it does a great job. Sure, a faster netbook would be better IF it had a screen like the 751 (I'm not moving back to a 10"er!)

However, IF you do want a faster computer, there is always the option to sell your 751. I'm willing to bet that is more than one "craigslister" who would pay $250 or maybe more for your 751. When I bought my 751 back last September, someone bought my old 8.9"er for $250. There are a lot of folks out there who don't keep track off what a used computer may be worth. That said, there was nothing wrong with my 8.9"er EXCEPT it was hard to see (screen size) and hard to type accurately (keyboard size). That's the reason I jumped on the 751 when it came out. The sweet spot in weight, screen size and keyboard.

Eosblue, Dec 7, 2009
Ask a Question