Two Finger Scrolling working on XP!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by 4saken, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 4saken

4saken

hey folks,
    I dont know if this has been posted here before, but since I stumbled across some posts in the past asking for the two finger scrolling in windows xp I wanted to share what I just found out.

Go here: http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scr ... loads/list and download the newest zip file.
    unpack and start the exe. a new icon should appear in the taskbar. with right click you can access basic settings. two finger scrolling should now work. also note that disabling the pinch feature in the synaptics dialog is crucial since it interferes with the two finger scroll.

all credit for this app goes to some very dedicated guys over at the thinkpad support community forum, who I think came up with all this in the first place.

anyways, have fun trying and let me know how it works for you.

greets,
    4saken

4saken, Oct 30, 2008
  2. 4saken

solman

nice! thanks for the link!

solman, Oct 30, 2008
  3. 4saken

Puru

Does it work with Vista...i installed it restarted and nothing...

Puru, Oct 30, 2008
  4. 4saken

4saken

sorry, dont know about vista. only tried on xp and it worked without a problem.
    do you have the synaptics drivers in vista or some default microsoft touchpad drivers? maybe that's the problem?

4saken, Oct 30, 2008
  5. 4saken

singraham

This is absolutely great. Switched to the Aspire One from Asus 900 and the one thing I really missed was the two finger scrolling. This little ap does it! If I could located the developers I'd send them fan mail.

singraham, Oct 30, 2008
  6. 4saken

solman

the one+one finger tapping function is hit or miss, but the two finger tap and two finger scrolling is awesome.

solman, Oct 30, 2008
  7. 4saken

alienmeatsack

Does this also allow you to disable the poorly placed "scroll area" on the touchpad so you can use the whole thing for mousing and 2F scrolling?

alienmeatsack, Oct 30, 2008
  8. 4saken

4saken

yes, you can disable the scroll area within the synaptics dialog and two finger scroll still works. just tried it myself.

4saken, Oct 30, 2008
  9. 4saken

kdl

I can confirm that it works fine in Vista. Had to disable 'pinch' because otherwise it disrupts quite easily. Works great. Thanks for the find.

kdl, Oct 31, 2008
  10. 4saken

Puru

but i couldn't see it anywhere in the notification area...where do i access it from???

Puru, Oct 31, 2008
  11. 4saken

4saken

you have to go to the system preferences, open the mouse properties and look for the synaptics settings.
    the pinch feature is not within the two finger scroll tool!!

4saken, Oct 31, 2008
  12. 4saken

Puru

Mate this is what i get if i try to reinstall the app:

Driver support for multiple fingers is already enabled but the driver still doesn't report multiple fingers. Either you haven't restarted the system yet or your TouchPad doesn't support multiple fingers.

I looked around and couldn't see the pinch feature anywhere as well. When I try to reinstall the twofinger app there is an icon that temporarily appears in the notification area...I tried to tick the start when windows start feature but i got a strange error message.

My synaptics driver version is 8.3

Please help

Puru, Nov 1, 2008
  13. 4saken

vinistois

Wow, huge thanks to those who helped figure this out. Why on earth Acer didn't include this feature as default is beyond me. Now this thing really is an EE killer

vinistois, Nov 1, 2008
  14. 4saken

Guest Guest

Same exact problem. Vista Ultimate x86. Synaptics driver 10.1.8. No where in the driver settings does it even mention "pinching". Help?

Guest, Nov 1, 2008
  15. 4saken

docterry

Wow, the 2F feature works great on the little touchpad. Much better for V-scrolling than trying to find the scroll borders, which I always found to be spotty.

Now if only we could enable the 2 finger swipe for browsing back/forward a page. That would be the best!

docterry, Nov 1, 2008
  16. 4saken

4saken

I'd rather like support for two finger horizontal scrolling.

for all the other guys with vista problems, I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. I havent tried vista myself and dont plan on doing so. I have vista running on several other pc's and I cant think of a single reason why I want to put it on the aspire one.

my xp which I slimmed down with nlite to about 300mb runs so smooth, there's just no reason to change anything.

4saken, Nov 1, 2008
  17. 4saken

bud212002

is this to make it touchscreen? Please explain. I am new to the netbook market. But let me say, this thing is awesome!1 Even can use photoshop cs2!!

bud212002, Nov 1, 2008
  18. 4saken

4saken

yeah, it make the whole screen touchable. try pressing it. you have to use two fingers and press real hard!

next time maybe try googling two finger scrolling and macs.... :roll:

4saken, Nov 1, 2008
  19. 4saken

bud212002

I have an Iphone you dumb MF'ER. I thought maybe someone had found a hack for running tablet xp on a AAO.
    Next time keep your mouth shut you bitch

bud212002, Nov 1, 2008
  20. 4saken

4saken

haha, nice one. that iphone quote was real gold.

btw, you can install windows xp tablet edition on the aspire one. it wont make it a touchscreen though, you have to physically install a touchscreen mod.
    go check the hardware hacking forum for some help on that.

and next time, dont be so offensive, if you ask a dumb question, expect a dumb answer...

4saken, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question