Two Finger Scrolling working on XP!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by 4saken, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 4saken

4saken

hey, try installing this modded driver: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/ind ... 17890&st=0

some guys over at the thinkpad forum said two finger swipes are possible with it. the two finger scrolling tool works as well.

also note that this driver is vista compatible. for all guys having trouble with vista, maybe try installing that one.

4saken, Nov 1, 2008
  2. 4saken

alfbc

I still cannot find out how to disable the pinch feature in Synaptics Pointing Device.
    Right clicking the Synaptics icon in task bar gets me into Pointing Device Properties but there is nothing there about 'pinching' (zoom in/out) controls.
    Also, accessing control panel/system/hardware/device manager/synaptics does not contain anything about pinch off

I would love to activate two finger scrolling on touchpad then I can dispense with my usb mouse.
    Need detailed instructions on how to disable pinch feature!

alfbc, Nov 1, 2008
  3. 4saken

Puru

Same thing!!!

Please help fellow forum members

Puru, Nov 2, 2008
  4. 4saken

singraham

If using Windows. Left click the Synaptics icon in the tray. Choose Pointing Device Properties from the pop-up. Click the Device Settings Tab. Click Settings. Expand the Pointer Motion setting. Click Pinch. Uncheck the Enable box. Click Ok to exit.

I don't have the Linux version so I can't tell you how to do that.

singraham, Nov 2, 2008
  5. 4saken

alfbc

Thanks Singraham for detailed instructions. Funny thing because I did look at SYNAPTICS pointer motion properties yesterday and did not notice the PINCH option.
    Works great now!

alfbc, Nov 2, 2008
  6. 4saken

Guest Guest

Not seeing "Pinch".

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QZHrcBLG8qlg6uvbKgS_oQ

Guest, Nov 2, 2008
  7. 4saken

4saken

when starting the two finger scrolling tool, did you get some kind of message saying two finger detection is not supported?
    over at the thinkpad forum some guys said that in this case the tool tries to patch the registry to enable hidden two finger support and tries to restart the system. only that sometimes the restart doesnt work, you have to manually do so.

the weird thing is, the aspire one should support two finger detection without any patching.
    and looking at your screenshot you seem to have the newest version of the synaptics drivers. this is really weird.

do you have sp1 installed?

4saken, Nov 2, 2008
  8. 4saken

Guest Guest

When I first ran the 2 finger app, everything seemed to work alright, and I rebooted. It didn't seem to work after the reboot, so I tried to run it again. It said "Driver support for multiple finger scrolling is already enabled but the driver still doesn't report multiple fingers. Either you haven't restarted the system yet or your touchpad doesn't support multiple fingers."

And yes, SP1 is installed.

Guest, Nov 3, 2008
  9. 4saken

docterry

Read through the thread on the thinkpads.com forum that started the project. Installed the modded 10.2.4 drivers. Couldn't get the TwoFingerScroll app to run, despite multiple reboots and uninstall/reinstalls.

Frustrated, I installed the 11.1.4 drivers from the Acer site on top of the modded 10.2.4 and voila! my synaptics preferences now include 2 and 3 finger gestures! It's the best of all worlds!

Have to disable the pinch mode, but that never seemed to work well on the AAO anyway.

Thanks, 4saken!

docterry, Nov 3, 2008
  10. 4saken

Guest Guest

Wow, confused, can you post a specific step by step of what you did?

Guest, Nov 3, 2008
  11. 4saken

docterry

Either by clicking on the Synaptics icon in the systray (lower right corner by the clock) or using the Mouse preferences from the Control Panel, go to the rightmost tab, "Device Settings".

The Synaptics Touchpad device will be listed. Click "Settings..." and you will get a Properties for Synaptics Touchpad panel. There is a tree of preferences. Open "Pointer Motion" and select "Pinch". Uncheck the option to "Enable pinch". Pinch is now disabled.

There are lots of other good preference options on this panel.

Hope this helps!

docterry, Nov 3, 2008
  12. 4saken

Guest Guest

Yea, see my above posts. That ain't happening.

I was actually asking about this:

Where are you getting these 11.1.4 drivers? The driver I have installed is 10.1.8, and there is definelty no "Pinch" option in the settings. See my screenshot above. Anyway, now that I ran the TwoFingerScroll.exe, and it didnt work, (but when I try to run it again it says its already installed), are my current drivers "modded" aswell?

Guest, Nov 3, 2008
  13. 4saken

Guest Guest

SOLVED

Looking up those 11.1.4 drivers that where mentioned, i found them at the Acer euro site. The installed failed as it said it was only for 2000/XP, but using the Update Driver Software in the device manager worked fine. NOW I have the "Pinch" option to turn off, lol.

The 2FingerScroll app works great now! I just wish the trackpad was a bit bigger....

Guest, Nov 4, 2008
  14. 4saken

se23

Yeah I got the swipes and the 2f scroll, but everytime i put 2 fingers to scroll the options box comes up and annoys me. how do I stop it?

se23, Nov 4, 2008
  15. 4saken

4saken

what option box?

4saken, Nov 4, 2008
  16. 4saken

ovaltine

Like docterry said,

1. Uninstall current synaptics driver,
    2. Install the modded one, reboot.
    3. Contune to install the newest one from Acer Eudo, reboot.

You will see options for 2-/3-finger gestures from Synaptics preference.

ovaltine, Nov 4, 2008
  17. 4saken

se23

You know when you right click and you get the menu? its annoying when your surfing. Its all good tho especially the swipe gestures, a little hit & miss but defo worth having.

se23, Nov 4, 2008
  18. 4saken

4saken

I think you have the two finger scroll tool setup to press the rigth mouse button when putting down two fingers. you can disable that in the settings.

4saken, Nov 4, 2008
  19. 4saken

Guest Guest

Any idea if we can get 2finger scrolling right and left? It would be really helpful on our small screens.

Guest, Nov 4, 2008
  20. 4saken

se23

Hi 4saken, Thanks I did, so I disabled and its cool,

se23, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question