Two problems: messenger and keyboard

Discussion in 'Linux' started by charlyr45, Jul 23, 2008.

1. charlyr45

charlyr45

I have a UK version of the Acer Aspire One (purchased from PC World last week) this is my first experience of linux so it's all a bit confusing and I need some help!

The first problem is have is with the Messenger that's pre-installed on it. I'm constantly having to log out and back in again as after being on it for a few minutes it stops sending my messages.. bringing up the error message 'message could not be sent as a problem has occurred with the switchboard'. Does anyone know if there's anything I could do to resolve this or if there is a messenger alternative I can install (if this is the only option help installing the other messenger would also be much appreciated!)

The second problem (i think this one is slightly easier to solve!).. The keyboard is layed out as a UK keyboard but when i use it some keys are in the US format. eg. pressing the @ key brings up " on the screen and vice versa. Also pressing the GBP key (Shift + 3) brings up # and pressing # brings up \ on the screen. I've right clicked on the keyboard in the taskbar, selected 'SCIM Setup' then 'Global Set Up' and selected "English (UK)'' as the keyboard type and restarted but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help would be greatly apprecriated.

Thanks!!

charlyr45, Jul 23, 2008
  2. charlyr45

jeromlenz

jeromlenz, Jul 23, 2008
  3. charlyr45

Andysan

Thanks jeromlenz , update fixed my keyboard.

Andysan, Jul 27, 2008
Ask a Question