Two unresolved annoyances.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hardran3, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hardran3

hardran3

I'm having to little problems, not showstoppers, just a little annoying, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same issues, and had a possible fix.

Problem #1. When I switch from a Virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F1) and then switch back to my desktop (ctrl-alt-F7) I am left with a black screen, no cursor, nothing. ctrl-alt-bkspc restarts X and everything is fine, but it is a pain. Nothing obvious in my log files, 3 days of googling has brought me no solution.

Problem #2 Intermittent problems with gnome-settings-daemon not starting. This makes the theme not apply and huge fonts. If I start gnome-settings-daemon manually all is fixed. This has been a problem in ubuntu since 7.04 from what I can see, but none of the solutions have worked for me.

So as you can see neither problem is horrible, just annoying. If anyone is seeing either issue, please post any info you have. Problems are always easier fixed with more eyes on them.

hardran3, Jan 26, 2009
  2. hardran3

wrek

I haven't had either of these issues... what kernal are you on?

wrek, Jan 26, 2009
  3. hardran3

hardran3

Sickboys latest. But I have tested and both issues show up on the stock kernel as well.

hardran3, Jan 26, 2009
  4. hardran3

wrek

That sounds really strange, I'd almost say just try reinstalling Ubunut and see if it helps. If you start having different errors it could be a hard drive problem or a ram problem but if it's the same errors then it's likely something else.. Perhaps a bad install source? Did you md5 the downloaded iso file?

wrek, Jan 27, 2009
  5. hardran3

Joeb

For the black screen, are you running compiz? Or if you don't know, did you turn on visual effects for shadows and the like? If so, turn of compiz (no visual effects) and see if the problem still exists.

Joeb, Jan 28, 2009
  6. hardran3

taxus

I've been having (hope it's the right verb conjugation, English isn't my mother tongue) the gnome-settings-daemon issue on my desktop computer ever since Ubuntu 7.10 - or maybe 7.04. I bought a new PC last fall and installed 8.10 on it: same problem again, but it's less frequent now. There was nothing wrong with any of my ISO images of Ubuntu installation disks (I always check the md5sum). It's been driving me crazy. :twisted:

Never had the issue on my AA1 though, with the UNR 1.01 image or with Ubuntu 8.10. But I've been trying Kubuntu and Xubuntu for the past month, so I haven't booted to GNOME in a while.

taxus, Jan 30, 2009
  7. hardran3

hardran3

I have decided to reinstall. I wil give Crunchbang linux a try This time.

hardran3, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question