Typing glitch

Discussion in 'Linux' started by groeswenphil, Jul 2, 2009.

1. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

Anybody else get this.
    I can be typing away and suddenly my cursor jumps to a different part of the document......completely at random.
    I'm trying to watch whether I'm accidentally pressing a strange key combination but so far haven't spotted it.
    Sometimes, I even jump to a totally different page.

Any advice?
    Phil

groeswenphil, Jul 2, 2009
  2. groeswenphil

DutchDK

I'm pretty sure you aren't hitting any special key combos. I am almost certain what happens is that you are accidentally hitting/touching/brushing the touchpad while typing, which can make the cursor select your text, or position the cursor where ever the mousepointer is at that moment .
    I can't remember if the Gsynaptics control applet is installed in the default Linpus installation, but if it is, it should be in the system settings area (default desktop) and also accessible in the system settings of the normal XFCE desktop. Go in to the Synaptic controlpanel, and enable the function which "disables" the touchpad while typing. That will ensure that while you type, any spurious touching of the touchpad at the same time, won't activate a selection of the text or reposition of the cursor to where the mousepointer currently points. Don't worry, as soon as you stop typing, the touchpad works normally again. You can even set the timeout for the function, so it fits to your typing speed.

DutchDK, Jul 2, 2009
  3. groeswenphil

fweigel

Alternatively, use FN+F7 to disable the touchpad before major typing. When you need the pointing device again, FN+F7 to turn it back on.

fweigel, Jul 3, 2009
  4. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

There's a green eyed yellow idol
    to the north of Katmandu.
    There's a little marble cross besides the town.
    There's a broken hearted lover, tends the grave of Mad Carew.
    And the yellow idol ever looks upon.

Yep. That sorted it out.

Phil

groeswenphil, Jul 3, 2009
Ask a Question