Ubuntu 7.04

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 008&num=10

Apparently 7.04 performs quite a bit better than 8.10. Would it be a good idea to try 7.04 with a customized up-to-date kernel on the AAO? Or are there some issue preventing this to work? Has anyone tried so far?

2manydjs, Nov 7, 2008
  2. 2manydjs

lotus49

This rather depends on what you mean by "performs". It is interesting (and a little disappointing) to read that 8.10 is slower than 7.04.

However, for most people, there is a much more important aspect of "performing" and that is working at all. I haven't tried 7.04 on my One but 8.10 was much easier to get everything working than 8.04 and it seems highly unlikely that 7.04 will support the hardware as well as 8.04, let alone 8.10.

As to your suggestion of using an up-to-date kernel. There is almost no point in doing this because the performance degradation that is referred to in the article are due to kernel changes. If we had 7.04 with a 8.10 kernel, we would have a load of out-of-date software with a slow kernel - ie the worst of both worlds.

Having said that, I would certainly be interested if anyone wants to try it.

lotus49, Nov 7, 2008
  3. 2manydjs

Baza

As 8.04 won't actually install its 8.04.1 that is needed, so 7.04 is unlikely to install either although you never know

Baza, Nov 9, 2008
  4. 2manydjs

scottro

It doesn't surprise me at all. Distributions keep getting more and more bloated, pure feeping creaturism as it's called. More and more things that might be nice, such as visual effects, but require better hardware, and really don't add that much to the actual usefulness.

Ubuntu is far from the only culprit, of course.

scottro, Nov 10, 2008
  5. 2manydjs

2manydjs

The reason why i hoped earlier versions of ubuntu would perform better is the increasing bloat of newer versions, not a lighter kernel of older versions.

I've installed 7.10 yesterday as 7.04 didn't seem to be available anywhere. Out of the box the boot time seemed better than 8.04, i feel it was the kernel that booted a bit faster. After installing a customized kernel the boot time improved to the same time as 8.04. The differences are very minimal and not noticeable in normal usage.

2manydjs, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question