Ubuntu 8.1 questions.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by palehorse864, Oct 31, 2008.

1. palehorse864

palehorse864

I'm having a heck of a time getting 8.04 onto my aspire. I"m trying to use my desktop to create a liveusb key, but the key creator hangs at different points each time, sometimes on cdrom/casper/ sometimes when it is finalizing. I've even left it on overnight but that didn't help.

I want to install Ubuntu because I have heard that the madwifi drivers allow the atheros chipset to go into passive listening mode. I have been trying to use wireshark, among other programs to sniff out problems in my home network security. The program works on windows, but will not work in promiscuous mode and only picks up traffic coming from the computer I have it installed on, not the home network. I even tried playing with the router settings before I realized it was an issue with the atheros chipset not having a listen mode in windows.

I have heard that Ubuntu 8.1 has wifi on the AA1 by default, but does this allow promiscuous mode and the like? If so, how easy is it to get it on the AA1? I have no optical drive for this thing, and the ones that are available are expensive. I've tried the usb key method but that seems a bit touchy.

palehorse864, Oct 31, 2008
  2. palehorse864

N6546R

Have you tried a different key? Unetbootin should work fine with the Ubuntu ISO file.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question