Ubuntu 8.10

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tomt, Dec 10, 2008.

1. tomt

tomt

Couple of questions re Ubuntu 8.10

I've just installed 8.10 on to my Acer Aspire 1694WMLI and it runs well. All hardware etc working.
    (1GB, 100GB HD, 128MB X700 and Centrino 2Ghz)

How will it run on the Acer One ?? 1GB + 120GB Hard Disk. ??
    Will it be similar or worse in performance ??

How do I install it ? I've looked around this forum, but can seem to fine a simple How To !!

Thanks

tomt, Dec 10, 2008
  2. tomt

mikespug

3. tomt

tomt

Thanks seems a lot of work !! :shock:
    Installing on to my acer aspire 1694wmli was very simple..

I had hoped it would be like that..

tomt, Dec 10, 2008
  4. tomt

gruffsy

It is really easy, but there is some work to install, because the One doesn't have a CD-ROM. But when you have a working, bootable USB-stick it is really easy. I'm a Linux newbie, but has successfully installed Ubuntu several times already. Expect the whole operation to take 2 hours. There are a lot of updates that are needed. When the update is finished, you are almost ready to go. There is just one thing more to do and that is to install the wonderful kernel compiled by SICKBOY.

This means that you'll have to do only four operations;
    Make a bootable USB - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L
    Install
    Update
    Install new kernel - http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7560
    That is not much work.I have probably done 500 XP installs, and this is easier. :D

gruffsy, Dec 10, 2008
  5. tomt

tomt

Thanks.
    Can I not install from the LiveDVD ??
    Does the audio / Mic work ??

Will I be able to keep Linpus ?? ie dual boot ?
    I've bought the 120GB Version !!

tomt, Dec 10, 2008
  6. tomt

gruffsy

Of course you can. Just put the DVD on the keyboard, close the LCD-lid over it and it will be scanned. Your Ubuntu is now installed! ;)

Please read the Howto's and the postings in this forum.

gruffsy, Dec 10, 2008
  7. tomt

mikespug

Sarcasm aside...you certainly can use the live dvd to install ubuntu provided you have an external usb dvd drive to boot from. The majority of users prefer to install using a usb thumb drive considering the fact that the netbook doesn't have a dvd-drive, and most owners don't have an external drive just lying around the house. It's also a much faster install using this method. Follow the links provided and you should be able to figure out the installation. Dual booting is a different thing all together and, with what sounds like limited linux knowledge, I was recommend steering away from it. However, it's completely doable. Search for dual boot how-to's.

mikespug, Dec 10, 2008
  8. tomt

tomt

Many thanks.

I'll give it a try and see how I get on. If it all goes wrong I can always recover Linpus !!

Anyone know if the web cam and internal mic will work with skyPE on ubuntu ??

tomt, Dec 10, 2008
  9. tomt

axcairns

My cam and mike work sweet with skype. You may have to change the sources for these in the skype options as the defaults didn't work.

axcairns, Dec 11, 2008
  10. tomt

tomt

axcairns - is this using the kernel listed above ?? Any issues I need to be aware of ??

I have installed ubuntu onto my acer aspire 1694wmli as a dual boot with XP Home. I presume setting up the dual boot on the acer one with linpus will be similar ? ! ?

I won't get to try this until Xmas.. I've bought 2 acer one's.. One for me and another for my son. If I'm playing with mine, he'll know I've got him one as well :roll:

Many Thanks

tomt, Dec 11, 2008
  11. tomt

tomt

What sort of speed does Ubuntu run on the acer one ??

Is it fast or dragging along ???

tomt, Dec 17, 2008
  12. tomt

PaulG

I've got the smaller AAO, 8 G SSD with 8 G SDHC for /home directory. Standard Ubuntu 8.10 install and now trying LXDE. Worked pretty well with Gnome desktop, but seems a lot better with LXDE. Don't know about dual booting with XP, I don't use any MS OSs on my own computers. I'm more than happy with the whole setup personally. Would recommend Ubuntu to anyone with an AAO.

PaulG, Dec 21, 2008
  13. tomt

tomt

Any way you can give me a few pointers for ubuntu.. how to install ?? and does everything work ??

I'll be installing ubuntu on mine of the xmas holiday.. may have to do my son's as well !!

Thanks

tomt, Dec 21, 2008
  14. tomt

PaulG

The guide I used is at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L It worked fine for me. Fairly easy to setup once you have the USB configured. Just follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems. I'd recommend the LXDE window manager, quite a bit faster than Gnome.

PaulG, Dec 22, 2008
  15. tomt

RockDoctor

Just out of curiosity, how much of GNOME did you keep on your SSD?

RockDoctor, Dec 22, 2008
  16. tomt

PaulG

I've got the full 8.10 installed, plus LXDE, but my /home directory is on a separate card. Seems to work ok, but noticed that the startup seems to be slowed down quite a bit. Will need to check that out. Works ok with Gnome desktop, but a lot quicker with LXDE (except for bootup that is).

PaulG, Dec 22, 2008
  17. tomt

tomt

Thanks.

I'm thinking of dual booting Ubuntu with Linpus, then I have the quick start up if I want it or the more advance linux is needed.

I'll let you know how I get on over the xmas holidays !!

Thanks

tomt, Dec 22, 2008
  18. tomt

FinalSin

When I installed 8.10 I found that my entire networking shut down. Wired, wireless, the works - all dead. Anyone experiencing that? The wiki makes a reference to wireless dying, but not the whole lot.

FinalSin, Dec 22, 2008
  19. tomt

solpuerto

Hi
    If you have Ubuntu currently on a PC use the create a bootable usb facility within Ubuntu.
    Then boot from the created usb on your aspireone and follow instructions. Change Boot set up by pressing F2 key at startup and then change boot to USB.
    There are problems with the Wifi connection Ubuntu/Aspire but if you look at the Ubuntu forum you will eventually find a solution.

I used the following link and have Wifi now working OK but I must say as I am new to Linux only after some trouble.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... er/Atheros

Best wishes

solpuerto, Dec 23, 2008
  20. tomt

RockDoctor

I had no problems using a stock Ubuntu 8.10 install than remembering to grab the linux-backports-modules package to get the ath5k driver and to blacklist the ath_pci module. Try using sickboy's kernel; it's only got the ath5k module and has worked well for me.

RockDoctor, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question