Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lancethepants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lancethepants

zaphod

In my case, I always have a card in the left slot on boot and it shows up on the right hand side of the UNR interface, albeit without the arrow that indicates a mounted drive. If I click on it, Nautilus (the file manager) opens and shows it as mounted with the contents displayed.

zaphod, Apr 30, 2009
  2. lancethepants

diemperdidi

Mine doesn't show anything at all.

diemperdidi, Apr 30, 2009
  3. lancethepants

zaphod

Having messed around a bit more, it is now clear that my left hand SD reader will actually auto mount a card even if not present at boot. The right hand reader isn't hot pluggable though.

zaphod, Apr 30, 2009
  4. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

That might be the reason.. Maybe Acer has done some changes to that hardware that causes your problem. I have a friend that tried UNR 9.04 on his MSI Wind, and he had a lot of hardware issues that he didn't have on the previous version.
    Then you shouldn't worry. ;) I'd recommend you get help from someone who knows enough about mounting and editing fstab to guide you though under supervision.

SnorreSelmer, Apr 30, 2009
  5. lancethepants

diemperdidi

I'm not desperately worried about it. The wifi irregularities I had with both Linpus and Intrepid have disappeared. I have a large hard drive and I can backup via network or to a remote server.

diemperdidi, Apr 30, 2009
  6. lancethepants

mzc

mzc, Apr 30, 2009
  7. lancethepants

Andysan

Hi all,

Whats the general consensus on Jaunty please - is a standard Jaunty install quicker than a heavily customized Intrepid install do you think? I'm running an SSD with only 512MB RAM so i've made quite a lot of tweaks.

Cheers,

Andysan, Apr 30, 2009
  8. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

UNR 9.04 installed perfectly on my machine (see signature for model). No major tweaks needed (did one SSD-wear-minimizing tweak in /etc/fstab, installed sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-plugin, flashplugin-nonfree and vlc from aptitude and that's it).
    As stated on page four of this thread, the A150BL has extra issues with the card-readers.

My tip is to test UNR via the live-image before you install, and if you run into problems, just ask in this thread and we'll try to help as best we can.

SnorreSelmer, May 1, 2009
  9. lancethepants

mzc

512mb RAM is close to the minimum requirement (not sure if it is actually the minimum reqt). given this fact, as mentioned earlier, you can check the live mode first.

mzc, May 1, 2009
  10. lancethepants

revolt

I found that the wifi would cut out when downloading for an extended period of time. The solution that worked for me was to blacklist the acer_wmi module.

Black list the acer_wmi module by doing the following:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    add the following to that config file:

Code:
    blacklist acer_wmi

Save, reboot your computer and the inconsistent wifi should be fixed.

Now I am very happy with jaunty!!

Joe

revolt, May 1, 2009
  11. lancethepants

superpp

Re-installed 9.04 and Skype works with simple changes (wouldn't do anything on original install).

superpp, May 1, 2009
  12. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

I had the Skype Ubuntu package installed, and last night I uninstalled it. It worked (after reassigning the audio to the headphone-jacks where I wanted it), but the microphone signal was so weak I could barely hear it. No matter what I did I couldn't get the signal any louder.. Any tips?

SnorreSelmer, May 1, 2009
  13. lancethepants

zaphod

I also have an SSD machine with 512MB RAM and I installed 9.04UNR yesterday so I haven't played with it too much yet. My initial impression is that Jaunty is no quicker than the tweaked Intrepid install I had before. Boot speed with the generic kernel is however much improved and I reckon it is booting only 5 seconds slower than my previous Intrepid install with a Sickboy kernel. I have the impression that power saving is improved but I can't claim to have measured it properly. So far the only thing that is bugging me is the right hand SD card not being hot pluggable (I always have one in the left slot at boot).

zaphod, May 1, 2009
  14. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

Do the following:
    Open a terminal and type sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Find the line that says # defoptions=quiet splash
    Add pciehp.pciehp_force=1 to the line so that it says # defoptions=quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_force=1
    Exit and save
    In the terminal, type sudo update-grub and then reboot
    Hot-plugging should work just fine

SnorreSelmer, May 2, 2009
  15. lancethepants

zaphod

Thanks for the advice. I have now done as suggested and can confirm that the RH SD card is now hot pluggable. However this solution generates a certain number of log messages at boot (18 lines in the log). Whilst this doesn't seem to affect functionality it has slowed my boot time down by 5 seconds or so.

zaphod, May 2, 2009
  16. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

I get a bunch of warnings at boot too. I haven't looked at the logs yet, but from what I saw at boot-time they are just warnings that some of the PCI Express devices in the machine (like the graphics-card) aren't hot-pluggable or something like that.

SnorreSelmer, May 2, 2009
  17. lancethepants

simbeb

I've just tried that. It works! You've just made my day mate! ThanX for that. :D

Come on Ubuntu, what are you waiting for, release a fix! :x

simbeb, May 2, 2009
  18. lancethepants

iv76erson03

I have a really weird problem. I installed Remix about 3 days ago and everything was working fine an all of a sudden my wireless started acting up. I cannot surf the internet, log into pidgin, or check thunderbird. However, they weather bug thing works and the update manager works. Also, I can connect to my router wirelessly by typing in the router's IP. Just no surfing. My other ubuntu machine works fine. It's like there is some strange firewall that won't let me connect to the internet. The only thing I was screwing around with network related was the vpnc settings. Any trouble shooting ideas?

iv76erson03, May 3, 2009
  19. lancethepants

daldred

Hi, guys!

After months of using Linpus, I'd decided to give UNR a go; it looks good running from USB and I was about to give the full installation a go when I noticed something: there doesn't seem to be an option to set up a WPA2-Enterprise network.

This is critical for me; I use the machine at my workplace and the network there is WPA2-Enterprise encrypted. Under Linpus I could deal with it by installing an updated Network Manager package, but it seems unlikely that this would be the case for a newly-released Ubuntu distro.

Has anyone got WPA2-Entreprise to work with Ubuntu Jaunty on the AAO?

daldred, May 3, 2009
  20. lancethepants

melhiore

I use only WPA&WPA2 Personal but there is an option for Enterprise as well. So it may work... I have only problems setting VPN. Apart from that whole networking stuff seems to be OK...

melhiore, May 3, 2009
Ask a Question