Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lancethepants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lancethepants

daldred

Hi, Melhiore

If I try to create a new network, the options I see don't include Enterprise; where are you finding it? (It's probably something obvious I'm missing!)

daldred, May 3, 2009
  2. lancethepants

enkidu

Followed directions, everything seemed to go well, reboots fine, but the right SD slot still does not hot-swap. I'm trying it with a 2 gig micro SD if that makes a difference. I don't think it should, because it hot-swaps on the left. :?:

enkidu, May 4, 2009
  3. lancethepants

c0manche

Here is a fan fix for Jaunty uses a kernel module rather than the old script and works great for me

wget http://piie.net/files/acerhdf_kmod-0.4.0.tar.gz
    tar zxvf acerhdf_kmod-0.4.0.tar.gz
    cd acerhdf_kmod
    make
    sudo make install

Now load the kernel module using

sudo modprobe acerhdf at this point fan should go
    quiet unless the machine has been left in the sun and is melting that
    is

To make sure it loads at boot time add acerhdf to /etc/modules

to edit modules file

run sudo gedit /etc/modules and then add acerhdf to the end of the
    file and save it

Enjoy

c0manche, May 4, 2009
  4. lancethepants

iv76erson03

OK I have done more messing around and I have found the root of the problem with my wirelsss.

I CANNOT connect to a website by typing in www.yahoo.com, but i CAN connect to 87.248.113.14, which is simply yahoo's ip. As soon as I click on a link, i get nothing.

I think that means I'm having DNS issues, but I don't know and I don't know how to fix it.

iv76erson03, May 4, 2009
  5. lancethepants

tomt

If you can connect to an IP Address but not a domain name then it is usually a DNS issue.
    What DNS servers are you currently using ??

From a terminal type:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    and that will show you your current DNS settings.

EG:
    Code:
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    nameserver 208.67.222.222

Can you try using OpenDNS Servers ??

Set this via Network Manager.
    The either disable your connection and re enable it or reboot.

Does that help ??

tomt, May 4, 2009
  6. lancethepants

diemperdidi

I did this. No joy for me. However as it rebooted, in the text that flew across the screen I caught a few words. There was something about 'device already exists' and not being able to 'hot-add'.
    If it recognises the existence of a device, why can't I see/use it? Or am I linking two separate things.

diemperdidi, May 4, 2009
  7. lancethepants

melhiore

After running system Network Manager showing available network connection - Wi-Fi in my case. I'm clicking Connect and putting ANY password. Later on I right click Network Manager again and Edit Connections. This one gives me an access to all necessary options so I can set-up manual IP, subnet, Gateway and DNS. In Security tab I can make a choice between WEP, WAP, Personal, Enterprise etc... Hope this helps...

melhiore, May 4, 2009
  8. lancethepants

daldred

daldred, May 4, 2009
  9. lancethepants

enkidu

We need a complete guide to getting the audio-skype-internal mic thing worked out. I've tried every combination I can find, and nothing works well enough to be useful. Somebody who has it figured out, please write up a definitive how-to in it's own easy to find post!

enkidu, May 5, 2009
  10. lancethepants

lotus49

I have just started reading this thread so possibly someone else has commented on this already but nevertheless...

The size of the swap partition is irrelevant to suspend (it can be non-existent or huge just as you wish) however, since hibernate copies the contents of RAM to the swap partitition, it does need to be at least as large as RAM but no larger. The thing about hibernate is that it takes such a long time that you may as well just shutdown. Perhaps you find it useful, but I don't.

Having said all that, I use an 16GB SDHC card in the LH slot which is mounted on /home so my / partition is fairly empty. If having a 2GB swap partition leaves you with enough space on / it doesn't matter how big it is.

lotus49, May 5, 2009
  11. lancethepants

lotus49

Alas no. This is the single biggest problem for me with every version of Ubuntu and every kernel. I am a very long time user of Linux and technically adept but while some people appear (and I say appear for good reason) to have things working, none of the Ubuntu kernels out there allow hot swapping of the RH card and allow you to suspend with the LH SDHC card mounted on /home without causing significant problems.

Sickboy's kernel is the closest. It allows suspend with the LH card mounted on /home but the RH card reader only works if a card is present at boot time and even then it is flaky - I daren't trust it having been bitten several times. Unfortunately Sickboy's kernel doesn't recognise my 3G dongle or allow me to play Flash videos smoothly :( .

I love my One and I have used Linux daily since at least 1992 (it's so long ago that I cannot remember, but it was pre-Slackware) but the unfortunate fact is that Linux support for the One sucks. I hate Windows, but at least XP seems to support all the hardware properly. I am very envious of the Dell Mini 9 users who have proper Ubuntu support. If only Acer had done a deal with Canonical rather than Linpus.

lotus49, May 5, 2009
  12. lancethepants

lotus49

I'd be careful with the pciehp option. This is what causes corruption of a mounted SDHC card on suspend.

I'd love to be corrected, but I do not believe that anyone has got both card readers doing what they ought to do in Ubuntu (Jaunty or any other version) and I have spent months trying.

lotus49, May 5, 2009
  13. lancethepants

jango

Who use both card readers at same time anyway...??? :lol:

Why do you say that?

jango, May 5, 2009
  14. lancethepants

lotus49

I do, or at least I would if I could. I use the LH slot as /home. I would like to use the RH slot to transfer files, store media etc, but I cannot. I also have two 16GB SDHC cards and I use the second to backup my /home partition. I have to use a USB card reader instead of just sticking it in the RH slot.

Having two slots was one of the key features of the One that led me to pick it over the competition. If I had an HDD model, perhaps I wouldn't care but I wanted an SSD for robustness.

The pciehp option has been implicated in SDHC card corruption when suspending on this very forum several times and while it did (sort of) make my RH card reader work, it appeared to be the cause of severe damage to my /home partition which was on an SDHC card in the LH slot if I suspended with it mounted. When I stopped using it, all that happened was that the partition table was damaged when I suspended (which was easy to fix) rather than the card being trashed completely. It also caused incorrect error messages at boot time slowing the boot process and filled my logs with spurious errors.

I may be wrong and it may be a coincidence, but my experience of using the pciehp option has not been a good one.

lotus49, May 5, 2009
  15. lancethepants

jango

Ok ... thanks

jango, May 5, 2009
  16. lancethepants

Cushie

So far I can get the Voice test call to speak but cannot get the mic 'capture' to function. Have tried the Sound Redcorder volume control settings, set mic boost and no mute on mic , I can get a swish and a full sound recording level but as yet no playback.
    Please, any help.

(Can't figure out the thread here)

Cushie, May 5, 2009
  17. lancethepants

calvin

I have 9.04 installed using the Wubi method. I installed the acerfand way to control the fan. The fan never slows down. The AA1 is cool to the touch, so temperature is not a problem. Will acerfand work with a Wubi installation?

calvin, May 6, 2009
  18. lancethepants

mzc

Linpus is funded by the Acer IP fund, which probably makes Linpus being owned partly by Acer in partnership with Mitac... As i understand from a chat with a Linpus contact. It's Acer's technical people that gives the direction to simplify the Linpus linux lite too much and looks like Linpus is binded to that direction (more support to XP than linpus)

mzc, May 6, 2009
  19. lancethepants

revolt

regarding Skype settings:

Under Options - sound devices -
    Sound in and sound out should both be: HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)

I have ringing set to pulse, and checked allow skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels.

When i go into volume control Mic boost is always set to zero, capture about 3/4 of maximum, and if you enabled this option under preferences, the input source is set to i-mic

Joe.

revolt, May 6, 2009
  20. lancethepants

mzc

did you experience the sound coming out only from one channel?

mzc, May 6, 2009
Ask a Question