Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lancethepants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lancethepants

revolt

No, sounds like both channels to me.

Joe

revolt, May 6, 2009
  2. lancethepants

enkidu

Well, Joe, that seems to work. Thanks!
    (I didn't check to see if it plays through both speakers . . . my mic/headphone only has one earpiece.)

enkidu, May 6, 2009
  3. lancethepants

boerenlater

After installing the madwifi drivers (vua hardwiredrivers thing) my wifi doesnt work anymore.
    Any idea how to fix it?

boerenlater, May 8, 2009
  4. lancethepants

Cushie

Thanks Joe, I now have all three setting to the HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0) option and taken your recommendations under the Volume control settings (right click the speaker icon on the top panel, all working fine on test call.
    Thanks Cushie

Cushie, May 8, 2009
  5. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

What model AAO do you have?

SnorreSelmer, May 8, 2009
  6. lancethepants

boerenlater

A110L, 8gb Samsung ssd and 1.5gb ram

boerenlater, May 8, 2009
  7. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

Do you have any problems with the regular WiFi drivers?

SnorreSelmer, May 9, 2009
  8. lancethepants

caulktel

This worked for me as well, Thanks! :D

caulktel, May 9, 2009
  9. lancethepants

boerenlater

If i know how i can use them, i would tell you :p

boerenlater, May 9, 2009
  10. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

Odd.. I have the same AAO as you and my WiFi worked out of the box with UNR 9.04.

SnorreSelmer, May 9, 2009
  11. lancethepants

muzikjock

this might be a late reply for this one. but i have found a work around for this LED problem if nothing else works. open terminal at applications/accessories/terminal. type : "sudo nautilus" without quotes. your file browser will open with superuser privileges. click on "file system". then double click on "ETC". scroll all the way down to the "sysctl.conf" file. double click on that. or right click and choose "open with text editor". scroll all the way down . if there is no room to add two lines at the bottom then click at the right of the last entry and hit "enter" twice. Then go back up one space and add this without quotes:
    "dev.wifi0.ledpin=3". then hit enter to drop to last line. and add " dev.wifi0.softled=1". close out. and it should ask you if you want to save . of course yes, you want to. reboot and you should have your led blinking at you. this works with madwifi drivers installed. i have not tried with ath5k as i cannot get that to work on my aa1. i also use sickboys kernel for my jaunty install and it does work well. i hope this helps someone. and if any errors, please forgive me. i follow alot of forums. and i only recommend those things that work for me. good luck! :D

muzikjock, May 10, 2009
  12. lancethepants

GlenMH

Many thanks for all the help in this thread so far!

A couple of questions:

I have done the fan control mod and am I right in thinking that this will put the fan on when the machine gets hot?

I have installed Ubuntu on the SSD which was formated as ext3. Can I convert it in situ to ext2? Is there any benefit to doing this?

How can I point my "home" directory to the SD card in the left slot?

Thanks!

Glen

GlenMH, May 11, 2009
  13. lancethepants

GlenMH

Yes - only the left hand one. When I play an MP3 file, it comes out of both channels.

Strange

GlenMH, May 11, 2009
  14. lancethepants

c-m

I've noticed that after leaving my AAO on ac power for a long time unused (note i have not power saving features enabled when on a/c) that when i then open the lid and pull out the power cord the machine goes into standby for no reason. On resume the wifi will not connect.

c-m, May 11, 2009
  15. lancethepants

scwinn

I have 2 Aspire Ones and have now tried all of the current variants of UBUNTU with each to see how Jaunty UNR compares.

Here are my findings.

My AOA 110 512 mb RAM. Formerly running Linpus & Fedora 10 XFCE.

Crunchbang linux - I loved this distro when I ran it live, everything worked live, and it was so snappy, much better than Linpus. But no matter how hard I tried the install would fail at 75% done.

Easy Peasy Linux - I loved this initially and it installed no problem. There is an automatic Update bug on an Aspireone because the distro will want to install a package for the Acer EEPC. So it will always tell you that updates are available. The right hand card reader did not work. Suspend worked perfectly. Then suddenly the desktop panel disappeared. I could not run anything (see below.... for my comments about UNR) Performance before the crash was good.

UBUNTU Netbook Remix (UNR) 9.04 - Everything worked. I mean everything. Right out of the box. No issues. Ahh but then suddenly the desktop panel disappeared. I could not run anything. I discovered why. When I tested Crunchbang linux I could turn on composting and that worked fine in live mode. So being a bit of a linux newbie I decided to try and turn composting on by selecting "normal" in the desktop effects panel. I caution you from ever doing this. Performance with UNR is a bit downgraded from Linpus on this machine, but just slightly. Screen refresh and anything requiring video seems to be a bit better. Boot time is 45 seconds. (I used the standard kernel to evaluate UNR)

My AOA 150 1 gig RAM Formerly Running Windows XP

Crunchbang linux - everything works. No issues. The distro is very fast and very stable. The distro was so much quicker than XP I was blown away. I wanted the Gnome environment (I like nice desktops...) but I found the minimalistic approach to be pretty cool and found myself embracing it. My problem with Crunchbang is just the fact that it isn't very mainstream and is based on Ubuntu 8.10.

Easy Peasy Linux - Same automatic update issues as above but now add the fact that the right hand card was not recognized, and resume and suspend did not work and you get a distro that wasn't on the machine for too long.

UBUNTU Netbook Remix (UNR) 9.04 - Everything worked. I mean everything. Right out of the box. No issues. Performance is good. I would say much better than Windows XP. I added restricted-extras and VLC without problems. Boot time is around 40 seconds (XP booted in about the same time.) (I used the standard kernel to evaluate UNR)

Conclusion - for its stability and overall polish UNR 9.04 is the best bet for a Newbie, or anybody on the Acer Aspireone, in my opinion. It is more stable than Linpus, easier to use than Mandriva and Fedors and with more predictable results, and snappier than Windows XP.

Any other comments or experiences like mine??

scwinn, May 12, 2009
  16. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

I've only tested the AAO 110, but I have to agree completely, UNR 9.04 is the best experience on the One, and not just for the linux newbies. I'm fairly well-experienced with Linux by now, and I love UNR to bits.
    BTW, are you sure everything worked out of the box? In my experience, the memory-card slots are always in need of some tweaking before they work right (hot-plugging working).

SnorreSelmer, May 12, 2009
  17. lancethepants

scwinn

The left slot is definitely hot pluggable. I didn't test the right one, but even if I can boot the right one and it isn't hot pluggable I will still be in Netbbok heaven. But see my next post.....

scwinn, May 12, 2009
  18. lancethepants

scwinn

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks HUGE Bug

In UNR 9.04 if you switch to classic desktop, your panels can disappear! You then have to reinstall. I know. It happened to me.

scwinn, May 12, 2009
  19. lancethepants

GlenMH

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks HUGE Bug

Yup - happened to me too so I removed the option from the menus to make sure I don't do it again!

GlenMH, May 13, 2009
  20. lancethepants

pmorris

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I tried UNR on my AAO 150 and didn't have quite the sweet experience reported here. Neither ath5k nor madwifi 'alternative' driver as packaged in UNR connected to the hardware; system sounds are not working (although, weirdly, the generic username screen does give the little bongo-beat); internal mic is not functional. Also it is very easy to lose gnome desktop management entirely if you try enabling the compiz-fusion 'effects', and the only way out is a re-install!!!! Mine even managed to crash permanently into low-graphics mode when I tried to enable 'Normal' performance, and then wouldn't boot back into UNR at all.
    Fedora 10 XFCE had similar probs with wifi, sound on mine but once tweaked appropriately gave greater functionality I thought - longer battery life, fewer graphics probs... although the system sound never worked (mp3, web sound etc did fine). I think when the final release of Fedora 11 XFCE is here (the forums say the beta has resolved all the tweaks...) I'll be migrating back.

Paul

pmorris, May 13, 2009
Ask a Question