Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lancethepants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lancethepants

bgriggs

This worked for me too, mostly. I can make the test call and make a call to my wife's WinXP machine running the latest version of Skype, but when she calls me (and I accept, naturally) I get the audio error message again and no call. Her end simply disconnects. Strange.

bgriggs, May 13, 2009
  2. lancethepants

vulcanbomber

Did system cleanup using janitor , and now my Acer Aspire One keeps going into memory test

vulcanbomber, May 13, 2009
  3. lancethepants

ptihibou

"
    it did not worked for me. When I try a test call, I get the Skype voice message all right but my message to them does not come back to me. I tried a combination of settings but to no avail. What puzzles me is that on my main PC ( Acer Travelmate 7720, OpenSuse 11.1) Skype works all right with the ringing set to default rather than pulse. Sound on my AAO D150 works fine on Firefox and Amarok14 (I dropped Amarok2 which is useless as it cannot link to my Creative Zen X-fi ) it is only with Skype that I have a problem, very likely with the internal mic. Any help will be tremendously appreciated.. :)

ptihibou, May 14, 2009
  4. lancethepants

lotus49

This has happened to me several times as well but if I leave it for a minute or two it usually connects. Alternatively I disable wireless in the network manager applet and then reenable it.

lotus49, May 15, 2009
  5. lancethepants

mzc

Hi everyone,

Karmic koala Alpha 1 has been released.. has anyone tried it yet? it uses the 2.6.30 kernel. I'll try upgrading today.. Please be reminded that it is expected to find bug and thing that may not work, so if you have issues with the official release(9.04) already upgrading may not be the solution. It's more for people that keep challenging the AAO hardware.

anyone wants to start a thread for this?

UPDATE: 9.10 alpha1 uses the 2.6.30 vanilla kernel . I think it makes the system a bit slower than usual(compared to jaunty)
    wifi led works without installing backports
    login window loads; timed login enabled by default
    gnome 2.27.1 did not load as mentioned in the release; 2.26.1 is still installed and working

mzc, May 16, 2009
  6. lancethepants

drfhm

Where to find Backport package

wifi led> install linux backport package

Where do i find it , looked in add/remove and everywhere else i can think of but al i get is , NOT FOUND .

drfhm, May 16, 2009
  7. lancethepants

ptihibou

for the linux-backport-moduless-jaunty go to admin then the Synaptics library quick search with backport and you are in business. After installation and reboot the wifi led works. :)

ptihibou, May 16, 2009
  8. lancethepants

drfhm

Thank you ptihibou i had been looking on ADD/RESTORE , no wonder i couldn't find it , now i have and instaled the suggested packages , plus Prevu but only in Generic , do i need to install Virtual also . i am sure that when i had the machine new and with Linux Lite installed the WiFi light was on all the time when i was using my netgear wireless router , now it just flashes at the same time the router does , i think that's when its transfering data . I read somewhere that the WiFi led was to indicate that the computer had detected a wireless signal so that the user could select and activate it and the light would stay on without blinking for as long as the signal was present , a bit like a metal detector buzzing to indicate the presents of metal . What is the exact function of the WiFi led .
    As the AA1 is used mostly at home it would be useful if it could automatic connect when it boots up as the wireless router is always on and the signal is always found and 94 to 100% .

drfhm, May 16, 2009
  9. lancethepants

mzc

Hi,

here's a screenshot of synaptic to get the wifi led work plus other backported goodies to the kernel:[attachment=0:2d458e1x]Screenshot.png[/attachment:2d458e1x]

mzc, May 17, 2009
  10. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

As mzc says, you only need the generic package.
    Personally I shy away from Synaptic and prefer Terminal + "aptitude install [package-name]".
    With Synaptic you get package overload. There's too much to choose from. It's nice to find stuff, but that's it.
    When I use aptitude I don't need to worry about anything beyond the base name of the package.

SnorreSelmer, May 17, 2009
  11. lancethepants

c-m

Does anyone have any problems with flash? All flash video BBC iplayer, Zattoo, Youtube etc.. is slow and jerky. I've check my resource monitor and its using over 70% of the cpu.

I'm using the flash plugin downloaded from the adobe website

c-m, May 18, 2009
  12. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

I just tested some videos from Associated Press (to be sure I got some quality videos, not some shitty TV-rips etc) and I got some jerkyness too.. I don't really think the problem is Flash itself, as at least on my AAO the HDD lamp was showing constant activity for prolonged periods when the jerkyness appeared.
    In my case the videos played fine most of the time, with occasional jerking (as long as I didn't play HD content, that didn't work at all).

SnorreSelmer, May 18, 2009
  13. lancethepants

mzc

From my observation, the hardware might be the culprit. I'm also using an atom 330 (Intel D945GCLF2 board) as a desktop pc. videos becomes a bit choppy sometimes also, and cannot play HD videos properly. Having this said, I really looking forward for the next generation atom chips (pineview + a new chipset - not 945). Hopefully, videos will play well in the upcoming release.

mzc, May 19, 2009
  14. lancethepants

margarett

margarett, May 19, 2009
  15. lancethepants

adgud

if i use sickboy-kuki kernel on 9.04 unr, will i have working both card reader (hot-pluggable etc.)?
    i'm interested in installing jaunty but all that needed tweaks and partially functioning hardware scares me a bit, i wonder if that kernel will simply enable everything.

adgud, May 24, 2009
  16. lancethepants

RockDoctor

Which kernel? With kernel 2.6.29.1.20090414.sickboy I need the following to make both card readers hot-pluggable:
    In file /etc/modprobe.d/options:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    options pciehp_force=1
    I also have in /etc/rc.local:
    /sbin/modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
    Not sure if pciehp stuff needs to be in both places, but it does work for me

RockDoctor, May 24, 2009
  17. lancethepants

adgud

hmm from what i read there are some problems with pciehp_force=1 like no proper suspend if card plugged... is it safe?

adgud, May 24, 2009
  18. lancethepants

SnorreSelmer

You can suspend but not hibernate (unless you format the card with a non-journaling filesystem). But then again, why hibernate when the process of hibernating takes longer than it takes to shut down the normal way...

SnorreSelmer, May 24, 2009
  19. lancethepants

simbeb

After doing the hotplug sd card fix I haven't tried suspending or hibernating with a card in the right-hand side slot but I have used hibernate anyway and i agree with snorreSelmer: it takes for ever to recover from hibernation, more than a cold boot. the feature is a real slug in UNR (I have a 1gb swap) so only use if you're in the middle of something(s) and need to shut down urgently.

simbeb, May 26, 2009
  20. lancethepants

DampCat

Hey guys.

I've just installed UNR on my ZG5 Aspire One, but i've never touched Linux before. It's all up and running off my flash drive and i've installed it on the HDD and its lovely. Looks gorgeous, really impressed.

Got a question though:

I managed to set up the wireless easy enough, but noticed when im scrolling down pages, it's very jerky and i get a lot of tearing. Is this a driver issue? Does the Ubuntu release come with drivers or do i need to download them specifically? Might sound ridiculous, but i cant find anythign to say i need to. Cheers guys

DampCat, May 27, 2009
Ask a Question