Ubuntu 9.04 for Netbooks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lancethepants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lancethepants

itres

Do you get this problem only in FF while browsing?

itres, May 27, 2009
  2. lancethepants

sijmes

sijmes, May 28, 2009
  3. lancethepants

DampCat

Yes just in FF. It appears to settle down a bit after a few minutes so it might just be an issue warming up? Odd.

I dont have an internet connection here (iPhone atm) but i'll try that update tonight sijmes. Is the one you're recommending proprietry?

DampCat, May 28, 2009
  4. lancethepants

itres

Check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne [To Fix Choppy Video Playback With Intel Video] I think that instruction comes from here.

Grtz

itres, May 28, 2009
  5. lancethepants

argosreality

Well I seem to have a constant issue with Linux on my Acer One. Without fail, the wireless will work out of the box typically and then after some random update dies and won't come back. It worked under 9.04 since release and then stopped working this past weekend. No idea why. Thinking I just needed to reinstall and boom...wireless still doesnt work. With the default ath5k driver it seems to be detected, Network Manager sees a wireless card but lists no networks found. iwconfig lists wlan0 as managed but thats it. Switching to madwifi driver makes the wireless card completely dissappear. Im stumped

Any thoughts?

argosreality, Jun 2, 2009
  6. lancethepants

sgtslwilson

Hi all, been a while since posted. I put the img file located on the first page to make a live usb. For some reason This particular distro will not even recognize my wifi card. I love Ubuntu but I can't get my wifi to work.

I even like the new "netbook" interface. I clicked the "hardware" button and it gave me the opportunity to enable madwifi drivers. I clicked this and still nothing. I was able to connect to the internet using my wired connection but that defeats the purpose of having this netbook.

BTW, I have the xp version of the AAO, a A150 I believe. Am I the only one that can't get the wifi card to be recognized in this distro? Everybody else seems to have their wifi working ok.

Any help?

Thanks, Lance

sgtslwilson, Jun 3, 2009
  7. lancethepants

theDaveB

Can anyone give simple setp by step instructions on how to convert from EXT3 to EXT2 ?

There are a few threads about but people just link to other sites and they don't explain it that well.

I know nothing about Linux by the way but managed to install the remix edition on my sons netbook.

Cheers,

Dave

theDaveB, Jun 30, 2009
  8. lancethepants

DutchDK

You have to do that on an unmounted filesystem, so you need to boot up with an USB key that runs a Linux distro.
    You probably still have the USB key with the UNR image used to install UNR on your sons netbook. Since that also works as a LiveUSB version, you should boot up on that key.

When you have done so, you open a terminal window (accessories tab in the UNR launcher).
    When you have done that, you need to run the tune2fs command to remove the journal file on the installed (nonrunning) version of UNR, and afterwards let check the filesystem for consistency. The following two commands strung together with double-ampersands (which will execute the first command in the background and immediately after that finishes execute the second command) will do it for you :
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1 && sudo fsck.ext2 -f /dev/sda1
    Remember to change the two occurrences of /dev/sda1 in the above commands to the correct device and partition of the installed non-running version of UNR. If you installed UNR as a substitute for the Linpus version that comes default with the AAO A110, you can use the above command without any changes.

Now you need to make sure that the installed non-running version knows that the filesystem is ext2 instead of ext3 - this is controlled in the /etc/fstab file. You have to mount the partition first in order to edit any files on it. To mount a partition, you need a mounting point in the running system. So in your terminal, enter the following commands, which will make the mountpoint, mount the partition, and start the edit of the fstab file :
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/myUNRpartition && sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /media/myUNRpartition && sudo nano /media/myUNRpartition/etc/fstab
    Remember again, that the occurences of /dev/sda1 above should be changed to the right partition for your installation.

The Nano editor will display with the contents of the non-running UNR installations fstab file. Change the occurrence of ext3 for the /dev/sda1 line, to read ext2, then press Ctrl-X to save and exit the nano editor.

Incidentally, since ext3 is in effect ext2 with the addition journaling, you do not need to convert the filesystem. You can just explicitly mount the ext3 partition as ext2 by only doing the editing of the fstab file. But then the journal used in ext3 will still be taking up space on the disk.

Finally you can shut down the liveUSB version of UNR, and reboot to the installed version of UNR. If you decided to convert the ext3 to ext2, by doing both sections above, you should now remove the now unused journal file. Open a terminal, and do the following command :
    Code:
    sudo rm -f /.journal
    Hope that helps you.

DutchDK, Jun 30, 2009
  9. lancethepants

theDaveB

Cheers mate, gonna try that later. Looks very easy to understand.

I did replace Linpus with Unbuntu and also I still have the USB key, so can boot off that.

EDIT: All done and seems to be booting fine. Thanks again.

You should create a new thread with your post as it way easy to understand and explains each step.

Dave

theDaveB, Jul 1, 2009
  10. lancethepants

DutchDK

Glad it worked out for you.
    If there are a moderator around, they are welcome to export the post to the how-to section if they want to.

DutchDK, Jul 1, 2009
  11. lancethepants

simbeb

I have successfully used that advice in 9.04 in the past. Will it work in 9.10?..

simbeb, Apr 12, 2010
Ask a Question