Ubuntu 9.10.. is it reliable?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Nissan_350Z, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

im just asking the people who have installing ubuntu on this netbook to let me know how it is? like is there a decrease/increase in battery time or even speed.. if no one has tried it then i guess i could be the first one to try it.. i just want to know if it's worth the time of installing it and all.. thanks. :D

Nissan_350Z, Mar 18, 2010
  2. Nissan_350Z

Indie

I have tried Ubuntu 9.10 on my netbook. I would say it is faster and boot is faster but you have to dedicate yourself to the linux system unlike windows. For the linux system is a bit more complex and harder to use. Though it's very rewarding once you get things running. By the way, if you do choose to install Ubuntu make sure you get your GMA 500 driver aka Poulsbo updated since it dosen't automaticly come with the driver installed. I recommend JoliCloud http://www.jolicloud.com/ which is a great Linux Operating system for your netbook since you won't have to learn much about the operating system and the speed is greatly increased. Especialy if your a first time linux user ;) . Hope that helps Nissan :D.

Indie, Mar 18, 2010
  3. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

i've tried it before on my desktop.. but i never got too into it.. i do love how the JoliCloud's interface is.. i might have to try it instead. and thanks for the driver info.. i wouldnt have known it was called Poulsbo? but thanks and i appreciate it. :D

Nissan_350Z, Mar 18, 2010
  4. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

i sacrificed some disk space.. the install went well it installed GRUB.. but now i cant boot into windows 7. it has the option but when i select it it just sits there flashing.. any ideas? and btw i deserve a big i told you so, yes i know. XD
    and i never noticed how hard it is to find a driver for the Poulsbo or GMA 500 for linux! it's near impossible and i still have yet to find one. anyways.. any idea on where you found your graphics driver? i did manage to get the wireless and everything working though! thanks!!!

Nissan_350Z, Mar 19, 2010
  5. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Here is the driver instructions https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo/. Also if you need anymore help here is a link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/AO751h. One more thing your driver might break if you do any updates,I don't know why but it happens. If it does all you have to do is just go into the safe video mode when it tells you to. Uninstall the driver, than reinstall it. To fix the windows 7 issue, all you need to do is fix the boot, by inserting a windows 7 disc if you don't know how to just message me further. WARNING: It might delete the Ubuntu boot..

Indie, Mar 19, 2010
  6. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

thanks for the quick reply! the video driver worked excellently, it now works in full 1366X768 resolution. only one more question.. when i ( i already made an iso out of my windows 7 disc so i could install it on here) mount the ISO is it going to get rid of ubuntu? like i know how you said it may delete the ubuntu boot but would the windows bootloader be able to run ubuntu? im thinking no and i'll have to reinstall the GRUB to just get ubuntu back.. if you're not sure i'll try it.. i just should hope i dont break anything. XD
    once again thank you!

7. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Indie, Mar 19, 2010
  8. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

bahahaha XD i will be sure to try that! now im just waiting on the audio drivers which im not even sure are needed, i just seen them on the ubuntu documentation for this laptop and thought i'd do it while i'm fixing everything.. just to get it over with. thanks and i'll let you know how everything went ASAP. :D

9. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Glad to be of service Nissan. Now just bombard me with any questions and I will get back to you tomorrow morning. As soon as I can! :D

Indie, Mar 19, 2010
  10. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

i do appreciate it :D
    aaand i start up the recovery and i type in
    bootrec /fixmbr
    it says: The operation completed successfully.
    then i type bootrec /fixboot
    and it says The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume isnt corrupted.

i'm thinking it's trying to do something with the linux partition?
    i'm trying all of the options but to reinstall windows because i finally have windows 7 how i want it.. im going to go to bed and i'll check this before i'm off to school in the morning. have a good night and once again thanks!

11. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

actually scratxch that i got windows 7 open after restarting and playing with more startup repair options.. now i'll try the EasyBCD.
    maybe i should wait just a little longer before posting back. seeing how it always fixes itself after i post.
    now i just need to figure out how to use EasyBCD to let linux boot with windows 7.
    I've tried the GRUB isnt installed into the bootsector option.. still no luck.. then again i've never had luck with EasyBCD except for like once..
    but i'm off and will check this tomorrow.
    thanks!

12. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Step 1
    Launch EasyBCD and go to the "Add/Remove Entries" page

Step 2
    Choose the "Linux" tab from the bottom-half of the EasyBCD screen

Step 3
    Pick the partition you installed Ubuntu to earlier from the drop-down partition list and choose "Add Entry"

Or if that dosen't work try NeoGrub

Indie, Mar 19, 2010
  13. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

kk just got home and tried them.. and no luck with either. i get the Windows failed to start error and it says
    File: \NST\nst_grub.mbr and that sort of info.. any ideas?

14. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

kk after an hour and a half of googling and such i learned that i must use the beta version of EasyBCD 2.0 and then use the Grub2 option.. and it worked perfectly!!
    if i need anything else i'll let you know and once again thank you for helping me through all of this! i'm usually really good with this stuff but those parts up there actually stumped me XD

15. Nissan_350Z

Indie

I'm glad that you got a solution, and anytime :D

Indie, Mar 19, 2010
Ask a Question