Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Darryl, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Darryl

Darryl

Not quite as swish looking as the 9.04 remix but its a lot faster. get it here
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-netbook-remix/daily-live/current/
    Make sure you install the ubuntu-restricted-extras repository thru the command line or package manager
    if you want a working version of skype you'll have to enable the medibuntu repo too using..
    Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get -q update && sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get -q update
    add the gpg keyring..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install skype-static-oss
    This will give you skype version 2.0. Bugs in the 2.1 version are to be fixed in the official release 9.16.
    Other than that it all works out of the box
    Enjoy
    EDIT
    ta link fixed....

Darryl, Sep 8, 2009
  2. Darryl

T5Dave

T5Dave, Sep 13, 2009
  3. Darryl

T5Dave

As a bit of a follow up on here, I installed 9.10 NBR and it was fine the first time, I did an update however and it failed to boot, so I reinstalled it... and again... and again... and now it's saying "An error occured during the update process" (or something along those lines) and now nothing works. Clicking on Synaptic does nothing, clicking on update does nothing...

Shame, because I preferred the interface of Karmic to that of Jaunty, but I'm going to retrograde to Jaunty 9.04 NBR until the proper edition of Karmic is released next month. Having said that, I've got Windows 7 coming next month, so depending on how I feel, I might just ditch the ubuntu for Win 7 Pro.

Anyone know where to buy a cheap 32gb AAO-compatible SSD ;) lol!

T5Dave, Sep 15, 2009
  4. Darryl

Johan

I've been using 9.10 on my AAO for about a month now with no major problems.

Johan, Sep 15, 2009
  5. Darryl

lazy_hoor

My last update causes the boot to go really slow, telling me that it doesn't recognise the BIOS and some other files. Anyone else had this problem?

lazy_hoor, Sep 22, 2009
  6. Darryl

jango

Thats why im going to wait for the final release :lol:

jango, Sep 22, 2009
  7. Darryl

Johan

Haven't had that problem, maybe you can try updating your BIOS?

Johan, Sep 22, 2009
  8. Darryl

finnbakk

Testing 9.10 Koala UNR from USB stick on my AAO 110. Neither wired nor wifi network is working. Just no contact.
    Strange.

finnbakk, Sep 24, 2009
  9. Darryl

melhiore

Similar problem here. Wireless does not storing WPA password. Need to manually put password every time... But It will eventually work I believe in final version...

Very good idea - I can not disagree...

melhiore, Sep 24, 2009
  10. Darryl

finnbakk

I downloaded a newer nightly build and it worked oob :)
    i also will wait for the final release before I install it permanently

finnbakk, Sep 24, 2009
  11. Darryl

Lincoln

i can confirm that the AOA150 runs this flawlessly, wifi works great and ethernet. Graphics are running much smoother with 9.10 than 9.04. The visual effects now run amazingly smooth, the normal setting runs best, but it can handle the extra effects it just slows web rendering down a bit. I actually found that my aoa150 runs snappier with the visual effects on. youtube videos still a bit choppy, but im using greasemonkey with firefox so i can switch the videos to mp4 format which runs extremely smooth in full screen.

heres a list of things that ive noticed in this build so far
    -wifi works faster
    -graphics run waaaay smoother(web rendering quickened and scrolling became smoother)
    -launcher is snappier(and way better looking) but i still disable it as i prefer the desktop view
    -microphone now works for me
    -sound runs smoother when running multiple applications
    -more frequent application crashes (many fixed if you stay up to date)

Lincoln, Sep 26, 2009
  12. Darryl

jango

Well do you think its safe to upade?

jango, Sep 27, 2009
  13. Darryl

lotus49

My experience is a little different.

I have installed the standard version of Karmic Koala rather than the NR version but the small number of problems I have had are unlikely to be related to that.

In general it seems to work well. It does boot faster and in general does feel snappier and the wifi connection seems to be substantially more stable (on Jaunty I get periodic disconnections when traffic volume is high).

However, I did encounter a few issues, one of which I regard as relatively serious. Firstly, I cannot suspend. I have had problems in the past with suspending corrupting the contents of my SDHC card which is mounted on /home, but with Karmic, I cannot suspend at all. I recompiled my own kernel to sort the problem in Jaunty but I cannot even do that at the moment because kernelcheck has a serious bug that is not likely to be addressed for several weeks and I cannot be bothered recompiling completely manually. This is a major drawback for me as I normally just close the lid on my AAO and let it suspend itself. Having to leave it on or shutdown completely is super annoying.

The other main problem is that I cannot boot without my SDHC card present unless I comment out the /home entry in /etc/fstab. While this isn't as serious as the inability to suspend, it is annoying.

The only other problem I have encountered so far is that my card readers still don't work as they should. At least this isn't a regression - they have never worked properly on any Linux variant I have tried except the horrible Linpus.

There are also minor cosmetic issues. The new splash screen looks good and doesn't look squashed on a 1024*600 screen which is good. However, I still get spurious text warnings at boot time (as numerous other people do) which is not supposed to happen during a normal boot.

All in all, I would say that anyone thinking of upgrading should do so on a USB stick first and see how it works for them. I didn't and now I cannot make my mind up whether to restore the backup that I made before upgrading.

PS I have just realised that sound input appears not to be working either. Unless I can find out why fairly quickly, it's back to 9.04 for me.

lotus49, Sep 28, 2009
  14. Darryl

atarione

ha... i had 9.10 all set up basically just the way i wanted it

and then one of the updates basically borked the UNR launcher

it keeps hanging at logon .. had to boot into the failsafe gnome and disable UNR launcher now it works (sort of) the netbook interface only comes up when you click the ubuntu icon at top left and I can't switch to ubuntu classic.. it just doesn't work..

meh alpha for a reason I guess :D

it was perfect timing as the dang beta is supposed to come out tomorrow...ha it is annoying enough that if the beta wasn't coming out so soon i'd have just reinstalled ..

atarione, Sep 30, 2009
  15. Darryl

jango

My SuperL key stop working and my notifications are too low...

jango, Sep 30, 2009
  16. Darryl

RockDoctor

@lotus49:
    If your SDHC card is mounted on /home, then booting without it in the slot will definitely upset things because you'll be booting without a home directory. Not a good thing. And Ubuntu doesn't let you log in as root by default. You could boot from a live CD or USB stick and create home directories for your user(s) on the AA1's SSD (or HDD if that's what you have). That way your system will be usable without the SDHC card in the slot. However, all your personal stuff won't be there, and anything you save into your home directory on the SSD will be inaccessible when you mount the SDHC card on /home.

RockDoctor, Sep 30, 2009
  17. Darryl

rogerthat

On 1 Sep, installed 9.10 Beta on new ext4 partition, AA1 150 with 320 gig drive. Waited until today to down load and install updates. Ubuntu 9.10 is much faster booting and more responsive.

Internet connection works better. It quickly connects to preferred wireless connection automatically and changes to wired connection when cat 5 is plugged in and back to wireless when unplugged. Bluetooth works good with Microsoft mouse and easy connects to Motorola ear piece but mic volume seems low. Have not used with skype yet.

SD Card readers don't work yet.

I like 9.10 version of clutter netbook desktop better than 9.04 but use gnome desktop.

Ubuntu Software Center makes easier to find new programs if your experienced enough to enable sources .

rogerthat, Oct 3, 2009
  18. Darryl

Ceno

Doesn't it horribly affect firefox scrolling on complex pages, like say gmail?

Could you elaborate on this? I've heard about greasemonkey, it lets you run additional scripts on a webpage right? Could you point me somewhere so I could give it a try?

My experience is essentially the same as lotus49's. I also use the SD card and suspend does not work. This might be worth looking into instead of defaulting to 9.04, from what I read the new intel drivers and kernel will wake up from suspend much faster than previously.

Ceno, Oct 4, 2009
  19. Darryl

Nudnik_de

As I see positive and negative feedback on 9.10 I think I should share my experience as well. I tested both Kubuntu 9.10 as Alpha 4/5 and Xubuntu 9.10 as Alpha 5/6 and Beta.
    I was impressed of the performance of Kubuntu as it was snappier on my A110L than what I've seen with Xubuntu 9.04. Sleep and wakeup was really extremely fast, and graphic performance was good. Both cardreaders were hotplugable after pciehp patch. Boottime was at 1,5 min which let me change to Xubuntu 9.10.
    This was really disappointing. I expected improvement over Kubuntu but the opposit is the case. Suspend causes Kernel problems and works only sometimes, in most cases the computer freezes, Boot time is really quick, but I have to wait at least another minute until everything runs smooth. Left Cardreader is hotplugable but can get the right one work. I don know were to put in the pciehp command as it has now grub2. I expected improvement with Beta but I still have these problems. Sure it's snappier than Xubuntu 9.04 but I'm really considering to go back to 9.04 where everything was working properly.

Nudnik_de, Oct 7, 2009
  20. Darryl

caulktel

I just upgraded UNR 9.04 to 9.10 and everything seems to work well, however neither SDHC slots work. Where does one get this pciehp patch? Other than that, I'm pretty pleased now that my battery life is good, 3:31 on three cell battery.

caulktel, Oct 8, 2009
Ask a Question