Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Darryl, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Darryl

RockDoctor

Just add pciehp.pcuehp_force=1 to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you're using grub2, you should be able to add this as a kernel parameter via the setup program

RockDoctor, Oct 8, 2009
  2. Darryl

caulktel

Just upgraded to the new developmental release with the new 2.6.31 kernel and now the left side SD slot works but the right side still does not. Getting closer.

caulktel, Oct 10, 2009
  3. Darryl

rogerthat

9.10 Beta on new ext4 partition, AA1 150 with 320 gig drive
    After Oct 16 update.

If I boot with card in left card reader it will show card on desktop and pop up notice with program suggestion. Can remove card and reinstall card with or with out unmounting card before removing and it works every time. Right card reader doesn't work.

If I boot with card in right card reader it will show card on desktop and pop up notice with program suggestion. Can remove card and reinstall card with or with out unmounting and it works but sometimes takes removing card 2nd install of card in slot before it works. Left card works same way.

If I boot with no card in card reader they don't work.

Haven't tried booting with cards in both card readers.

rogerthat, Oct 16, 2009
  4. Darryl

Frits

I like the new lay-out of 9.10 unr, it's not as "busy" as 9.04 unr.
    Although i am not impressed by the bootup speed, 9.04 boots up faster.
    I am using it on a 110L, with 1.5 gb ram and the 8gb ssd.

Perhaps the speed is slower due to the constant updates( it is a beta, you know...).
    There are still some issues, like the right cardreader(yes, i know the trick to let it work) and wireless after suspend is gone( starting it manually is no problem) but all in all, if you want to be competife in the Os world, everything has to work out of the box, so people with no IT-skills can use it without manually configuering the problems...

Shouldn't be to hard, almost all the netbooks use the same configuration.

Frits, Oct 21, 2009
  5. Darryl

RockDoctor

Everything working out of the box isn't enough. Consider the example of Linpus Lite on the AOA110 and AOA150; the only Linux-based OS in which the right card reader was able to detect an xD card. I wonder how many owners of those first-generation Aspire Ones are still using Linpus.

RockDoctor, Oct 21, 2009
  6. Darryl

Guest Guest

Both card reader work out of the box in Fedora 11

Guest, Nov 2, 2009
  7. Darryl

crasher

I am :)

I have 2 Aspire Ones - an 8gb SSD and a 120gb HDD
    THe 120gb HDD i run dual-boot with the original Linpus and Ubuntu NBR 9.04 - happy as larry with it for the time being
    THe SSD Acer until this weekend was running stock Linpus, however decided to go with Ubuntu NBR 9.10, installed from a bootable USB, as its my 'testing' machine.

My initial impressions are good however the show-stopper for me is that i cannot get the WiFi to work. This renders the whole exercise useless.

I could revert back to Linpus (at least it worked) but may decide to try another linux favour whilst in the mood.

crasher, Nov 9, 2009
  8. Darryl

Xinês

Hi Crasher,

I've only one AAO 8Gb SSD and 9.10 Gnome worked just out of the box, wifi included.

Xinês, Nov 9, 2009
  9. Darryl

jsebrech

Installed onto an 8 GB AAO, replacing the linpus that was already on it.

I'm very happy with the result. It's a very polished system, reaching mac-like levels of polish. I'm very impressed with the work the ubuntu community has done on this OS. It's definitely a big step up from linpus, and anyone still on linpus owes it to themselves to boot it up from the usb key and at least try it out (you can run it without installing it).

Problems I ran into:
    - I couldn't figure out how to create a USB boot disk from inside OS X, which is a bit of a problem because all my other machines only run OS X. I ended up using usb-creator.exe from my windows machine at work.
    - Even though I chose the dutch language and keyboard settings during installation, these settings were not correctly applied after install. I had to reapply them in the system settings. The dutch translations are not included by default, but they were automatically installed once I connected to the internet.
    - I use Internet Sharing over Wi-fi from OS X to share my internet connection. Even though I entered the correct password, it refused to connect. The solution turned out to be that I had to choose to connect to a hidden network, and then enter all the network's details explicitly, including the setting that it uses shared key authentication. I'm chalking this one up as a mac problem, because my DS had the same connectivity issues.

jsebrech, Nov 10, 2009
  10. Darryl

jhedrotten

so does everything works out of the box? i'm choosing between UNR 9.10 and moblin v2.1 to replace my Fedora 11 XFCE installation because I changed my mind and no longer need a full blown distro on my AAO. :lol:

I'm more inclined in using UNR 9.10 as it has more repositories available, so installing proprietary gstreamer packages would be easy and no need to compile from source.

jhedrotten, Nov 10, 2009
  11. Darryl

Grim Squeaker

On the "original" One (ya know, 8,9 inch, 8GB SD ;)):

- The "wifi is on" light does not work; but the "Wifi is active" light does. The wifi range itself seems slightly less than under linpus.
    - A small tweak is needed to make the cardreaders hot swappable.
    - I have heard, though not used this setup myself, that putting /home on an expansion SD card still causes problems after a suspend.

Everything else seems to work fine out of the box. Installing the necessary plugins for mp3 and movies is easily done by installing the "Ubuntu restricted extras" package, which will also add flash and javasupport to Firefox all in one go.
    To be able to play encrypted DVDs: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... layingDVDs

Or just install VLC ;)

Grim Squeaker, Nov 14, 2009
  12. Darryl

jhedrotten

Thanks for the reply dude.

I did a fresh install two days ago and I must say I am more than pleased. It was my first time with Ubuntu (I'm a Fedora dude :lol: ) and it was a really great experience. Everything just works, even the wifi led, and all I did was put several scripts to improve SSD performance, disable journaling from EXT4, make the card reader on the right hotswappable. The only thing that does not work is the external microphone, but I could live without it :lol:. I might remove the 300mb or so swap partition later. ;)

I'm impressed by the sleekness of the interface but I must say I'm more impressed in ubuntu's restricted package: I could play all my videos (including flv and 3gp) on the pre-installed Totem Media Player without the need to have VLC media player installed or downloading more codecs.

Goodbye Fedora 11 XFCE for me and welcome UNR 9.10. :lol:

jhedrotten, Nov 14, 2009
  13. Darryl

jsebrech

@jhedrotten: what performance improvements did you make that made a noticeable difference?

After having used it a bit more, I'm still very happy with UNR 9.10. The only issues I've come across are moderately short wifi range, and an inability to connect to the itunes library of my primary desktop. The itunes thing is apple's fault, as they apparently locked out all non-itunes clients with itunes 7. The solution is installing pulpTunes on the mac, which shares the itunes library as a website, with a flash applet to actually listen to the songs.

jsebrech, Nov 14, 2009
  14. Darryl

jhedrotten

Well I'm afraid those scripts that I added wouldn't be so noticeable, but would be good in the long run if you are using the default first generation SSDs that came with the AAO, like me. They're all useless if you have the HDD version.

jhedrotten, Nov 14, 2009
  15. Darryl

tgh0wnz

I installed this but I cannot figure out how to get flash to work in firefox. I installed the restricted extras and it shows its installed, i rebooted and still when I goto a page in firefox that requires flash, it tells me I need to install flash player. If I click on install and download the deb file from adobes site and run it, it gives Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libnspr4-dev. Anyone have any ideas on how to get flash working?

tgh0wnz, Nov 16, 2009
  16. Darryl

Frits

@ jhedrotten.

Can you please tell how you disabled the journaling on ext4?
    Our enyone elese?
    Thnx in advance!

Frits, Nov 16, 2009
  17. Darryl

jango

jango, Nov 16, 2009
  18. Darryl

Frits

@ Jango, thnx for your effort, but i can't find a decent translator from Portugese to Dutch/English :( .
    But from the pictures i do understand what the idea is.
    Perhaps someone has a English/dutch version??? :geek:

Frits, Nov 17, 2009
  19. Darryl

bluelloydpugh

hi.

Has anyone here upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) to 9.10 (karmic)?

I've got desktop ubuntu 9.04 running on my 110L 8gig SSD 512RAM, as i had issues with desktop switching with UNR 9.04.
    I like it but occasionally when surfing the net, it seems to struggle with a few sites, screen goes grey for a few seconds, can't do anything.

Does anyone know if karmic (with no tweeking) is any faster than jaunty on the 110L?

bluelloydpugh, Nov 18, 2009
  20. Darryl

finnbakk

After using Ubuntu for several years I have found 9.10 Karmic Koala so buggy that I have deleted Ubuntu from both my AAO and another laptop I have.
    Instead I have installed Fedora on both. On my Lenovo I have installed Fedora 12 (Gnome) and on my AAO Fedora 11 (LXDE). Works well on both.
    Never got network and printing working in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala ,neither version of it. Even after update of Cups and Samba it still didn't work.
    Then I executed Ubuntu. The axe has fallen :)

finnbakk, Nov 19, 2009
Ask a Question